Thread: Virtualization on ARM Chromebook via QEMU-KVM

Beans

Virtualization on ARM Chromebook via QEMU-KVM

Hello everyone:I have an ARM Chromebook and need to run 2 programs:QGIS: Available on Ubuntu but not on ARM archictecturePythagoras: A Windows database programThe best solution that I have come up with is to run Ubuntu (XFCE) via Crouton, then run a 32bit virtual machine (Puppy Linux 6.0 Tahr CE) via QEMU-KVM. This is very cumbersome, so if anyone comes up with a better suggestion, please let me know! I have been following instructions at https://www.unixmen.com/how-to-insta...emu-in-ubuntu/ and have run into several errors:1) After running qemu-system-x86_64 -hda ubuntu.img -boot d -cdrom /home/sk/Soft_Backup/OS\ Images/New/ubuntu-15.04-server-amd64.iso -m 640The Puppy Linux boot screen shows up, but when I hit "enter" to install, I get a segmentation fault (core dumped).2) When I tried opening up the Virtual Manager GUI, I got the error "Unable to connect to libvirt"-I have checked that the libvirt-bin package is installed-I am a member of the libvirtd group-I have tried running Virtual Manager with gksudo-The error message recommends checking that the libvirtd daemon is started----not sure how to check thisAny help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtualization on ARM Chromebook via QEMU-KVM

Reformatted so that others may be able to read the original post easier:
    Quote Originally Posted by verdigris2 View Post
    Hello everyone:

I have an ARM Chromebook and need to run 2 programs:
    - QGIS: Available on Ubuntu but not on ARM archictecture
    - Pythagoras: A Windows database program

The best solution that I have come up with is to run Ubuntu (XFCE) via Crouton, then run a 32bit virtual machine (Puppy Linux 6.0 Tahr CE) via QEMU-KVM. This is very cumbersome, so if anyone comes up with a better suggestion, please let me know!

I have been following instructions at https://www.unixmen.com/how-to-insta...emu-in-ubuntu/ and have run into several errors:
    1) After running
    Code:
    qemu-system-x86_64 -hda ubuntu.img -boot d -cdrom /home/sk/Soft_Backup/OS\ Images/New/ubuntu-15.04-server-amd64.iso -m 640
    The Puppy Linux boot screen shows up, but when I hit "enter" to install, I get a segmentation fault (core dumped).
    2) When I tried opening up the Virtual Manager GUI, I got the error "Unable to connect to libvirt"-I have checked that the libvirt-bin package is installed-I am a member of the libvirtd group-I have tried running Virtual Manager with gksudo-

The error message recommends checking that the libvirtd daemon is started----not sure how to check thisAny help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Reformatted in a organised and logical format, it may be easier for others to follow, read and understand what you were trying to say and were asking. I hope that helps.

There are two resources which I would read and follow in the diagnostics of your problem.
    As it relates to Libvirt specifically:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KV...y_Installation
    Then this:
    http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/The_dae...not_be_started

Libvirt is a virtualization management library, that consists of three utilities:
    – an API library
    - a daemon (libvirtd)
    - the virsh command line tool -virsh.

Libvirt is quite effective and it can manage a lot of hypervisors altogether. It is not a hypervisor, but rather a it is a hypervisor toolset.

The hypervisor you are using is QEMU, which is a software based emulator/translator, that when used alone, is without any hardware virtualization.Meaning with a 64bit processor, you can run 32bit VM Guests.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 20th, 2016 at 07:58 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags