Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black screen at startup

Beans

Black screen at startup

First off, here's my computer's processor and video: AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G × 4 ; Gallium 0.4 on AMD CARRIZO (DRM 3.1.0, LLVM 3.8.0)

The computer model is an HP Pavilion 15

The Ubuntu version is 16.04 LTS

The problem: the computer starts up just fine but the screen is black; even though the screen is black I can hear the drum sound prompting me to log in. To recover from this issue I just press F10 then cursor down twice, press return, and then cursor once to the left, then hit enter to restart. Obviously this means that I have figured out that although the screen is black the operating system is successfully running the window and desktop environment! Anyway, when the computer restarts all is well with the screen and I have a fully functional system. Sometimes, though, I have to restart again because the screen starts to flicker. After a second restart, though, this problem goes away. All in all, I'm very happy with my OS and computer but I'd like to eliminate this problem.

What I've tried: After looking things up in the forums I've tried: 1) using xdiagnose (this was when I didn't realize that actually xwindows was working properly it's just that the video wasn't working) 2) reading the boot log (in which no error messages appear) 3) reading various other logs where the OS records error messages but they are empty 4) upgrading the kernel (some forum posts in the past have suggested various kernel versions for this particular grpahics and CPU so I tried them all!) 5) reinstalling the OS.

What I suspect: It could be a video driver problem or a problem with the display. I'm leaning more in the direction of the video driver because although the screen is black it is a "lit up" black, in other words, the display is active. Also, when I power the computer on the screen is purple before it goes black. Without anything recorded in any logs I have no way of knowing for sure which one is the problem because I'm not an expert at these things. I mean, the most common problem I've read about is a failure to load the graphics driver correctly at start up, but in the forum posts I've read this causes the computer to freeze up or crash. In my case, I have no freezing or crashing and with the keyboard I can blindly navigate to safely restart the computer.

I think I've pretty much exhausted all the options and the limits of reading this forum. If no one can suggest a solution to this problem at the very least I'd love to hear how I can reproduce the problem so it is capable of being recorded to a log file so that in turn I can report this correctly as a bug and/or provide better details about the issue so someone can read it and say "this is your problem and this is how you fix it."

If you've got this far down into my post, thank you so much for reading the whole thing. It's a bit lengthy!

Any suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance!
    Last edited by tonymp; September 26th, 2016 at 08:30 PM.

Beans

Re: Black screen at startup

Hello; this is my first post in this site; please, excuse my poor english, I write from Spain.
    Friend tonymp, I write this post replying you because recently I have had the same problem you describe; my PC has the same SO and video card than yours (Ubuntu 16.04 and Gallium 0.4 on AMD CARRIZO (DRM 3.1.0, LLVM 3.8.0).
    I tried many ways reading in internet to get a solution but no one has given me result. At the end, I have re-installed twice the SO, and then in terminal I made a "apt-get update" and a "apt-get upgrade", and at moment it seems that it has been solved, but I don't now for how long.

Saludos desde España.

Beans

Hi! I also live in Spain. I've considered reinstalling the OS again but thought perhaps once was enough to see if that would solve the problem. I didn't think running the apt-get commands solved your problem and that it was probably reinstalling the OS that helped you. BUT I'm now running the apt-get upgrade command and a lot of things related to my processor, PAM, and other video-related software is being upgraded, so maybe that's the way to fix the issue! I never thought of doing that because I thought the automatic software updates would do that on its own. Apparently, it does not! We shall see if this has solved the problem on my end. I hope it solved yours! Thanks for the advice! Let's see what happens tomorrow when I switch the computer on for the first time. Y no te preocupes por tu intento a escribir en inglés. Si lo entiendo no hay fallos porque entenderse el uno al otro es lo que más importa en este contexto. (Soy nativo de inglés y hablo español como segundo idioma.)
    Last edited by tonymp; September 20th, 2016 at 10:32 PM.

Beans

OK, it's the next morning. So, good morning! Running the apt-get-upgrade did not solve the problem. At this point I'm toying with the idea of reinstalling the OS to see if the second time is a charm. Thanks, though, Pablo, for your suggestion.

Beans

Hi; unfortunetaly, second time I started my PC, troubles came back. So, its time to continuing looking for a solution. Maybe upgrading the kernel? I don't now.

Beans

I upgraded to recommended kernels and the problem wasn't solved that way. Also, I updated to the most recent kernel and that didn't help either plus it isn't compatible with the Realtek wi-fi driver improvement. I think we might have to wait for a fix to happen in an update or maybe someone will see this thread and know what else we can try. At least we've got two heads thinking about this! Much better than one!

Beans

Hi, friend! I'm yet here. What new kernel have you installed?
    Last edited by pacblo64; September 25th, 2016 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

It seems that the last stable version is 4.7 Isn't it? (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/)

Beans

The latest is 4.8-rc6, I believe. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-p...tive/v4.8-rc6/ That's the one that I said isn't compatible with the wifi driver fix.

Beans

Yes, but I've read in somewhere in the forums that "rc" versions of kernel are not stable at all.

Today I experienced the following: as others days, I booted my laptop and our known troubles came back; then (after working some minutes), I turned off the computer, and immediatelly I booted it again, and at that second boot, no troubles. Twice more (turn off and boot; turn off and boot), and NO TROUBLES APPEAR.

This has led me to ask: why first time problems appear and why then not appear?. Which differences exist between first boot and following boots? My answer: the temperature of processor and the temperature of video chipset. What do you think about this? Is it possible that cold temperature cause that problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast