Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unity has crashed, many injured...

Beans

Re: Unity has crashed, many injured...

And for the record I do not see a display selection or priority or whatever in the bios. I did notice that the clock was wrong on the windows side of my computer and corrected it. It does kinda feel like the display has been changed somehow, like my system thinks I have a TV hooked up to it and it's not showing the unity etc side of things? I guess I'll search google some more and see if there is a way to switch the display in a terminal. I can't even close a window, or a program or anything that used to have a close x. That's all gone. Everything opens full screen, just like it would on a separate display. Well, not quite everything but darned near.

Many thanks for all past and hopefully future assistance. Here's to hoping I wake up to an update that sorts this out. I know it can be hard to believe but I really didn't do anything to cause this. Except maybe turn it off and on again...
    Last edited by TrueNorthist; September 15th, 2016 at 03:21 AM.

Beans

Good news and bad news... Good news is unity is back up, but will need some restorative actions to get it back walking and chewing gum at the same time again. Bad news is I have no idea why, only that running Bleachbit did something that worked in my favour. I read another comment in General Help where a fella described how --among a wholesale deleting/renaming/modifying extravaganza -- he also deleted his cache and he was fairly sure that was therapeutic. But which cache I wondered, and what other worms would I be poking at by invoking the dreaded Bleachbit? I deselected many of the items that BB annihilates ensuring the system cache was selected, then let her rip. After a good scrub I rebooted et voilà, a "normal" but very inexperienced desktop.

I just need to customize it a bit, then get back to mindlessly chewing on hay while staring blankly at the screen. Nothing like swatting a fly with a 50 megaton thermonuclear device set to explode at ground level. Kaboooom. Good morning gentlemen. I am an H.A.L. 9000 computer. Would you like to hear me sing a song?

Thanks to all who tried valiantly to assist a drowning slug.

edit: I marked this thread as solved, mostly because the problem is gone and that I have described the manner I used to get there. I do NOT make any claims as to what exactly went wrong, only that deleting the system cache seems to work for the problem I had. It would be nice to find out precisely what went sideways but beggars can't be choosers. I'll take the win by hook or by crook. My gut feeling is a setting was changed, not by me, that made the OS "think" I was using a monitor, and Unity was not active. Clearing the cache restored display back to defaults, maybe?
    Last edited by TrueNorthist; September 15th, 2016 at 04:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Here is the manual:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...56VM_N56VZ.pdf

I think maybe something got toggled. In some cases you have to hook and external monitor to get it back.

Also noticed : tty size 170X48 which is not right.

You can try to just boot from a USB ISO stick and see what happens.

If you had Windows and did the Windows upgrade to Windows 10 it may have spoofed the nVidia chip.

Also if you accidently changed the video mode you might have to hook up external monitor. If USB boot works then something is borked in your install and we'll have to start from scratch

I think perhaps this is xorg problem.
    Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 15th, 2016 at 12:02 PM.

Beans

Thanks for striking all that out. I fully understand that it can be nearly impossible to believe when folks say they did nothing to cause a problem when most of the time they did, but simply might not realize it. However in this case I really did not do anything other than turn my system off and on again. I did not connect any monitors nor manipulate any settings and a long since upgraded windows 10 had not been awakened for weeks. Nope, in this case something external must have triggered a change to the display settings I reckon. I will still check my recent updates and watch for a bug report as I want to know what went wrong and make sure things are stable after all the fiddling I did yesterday. Fortunately I did not tamper with anything fatal.

Everything seems to be fine today however. Just a few tweaks needed and a few lost settings. I will adjust the TTY res once I divine a method. Maybe related?
    Last edited by TrueNorthist; September 15th, 2016 at 01:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I believe you. I was thinking of another matter altogether and somehow I bifurcated from the focus of your original message. My apologies.

Perhaps Frogshair might have somehting up his sleeve

Regards

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234