Thread: Recommend distro for Latitude E7470

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Recommend distro for Latitude E7470

hi, I'm thinking of turning completely to Linux only (dual-boot with old laptop) and I was wondering if anyone is using Dell Latitude E7470 and would recommend a good distro for this laptop? The specs are the following: Dell Latitude E7470 | Intel i5-6300U 3000MHz | 8GB DDR4 | 128GB SSD | Intel HD Graphics 520|1920 x 1080 Full HD screen

I use it for multimedia, school work and working, which mostly includes writing and creating graphs, reading lots of PDFs, occasionally using 2 screens and heavy browsing. Maybe there's something that would be best suitable for me. I've tried Ubuntu 16.04, but it seems to take more battery life than some others. I've tried elementary OS (really like it, but read it's rather buggy), Fedora and Ubuntu MATE with live-usb, but would like to hear other suggestions.
    As I understand from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/.../201507-18781/ it should be totally compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 as it's pre-installed on some of the models.
    My main concern is to get most out of battery life (should be around 7-8h) and stability of OS since I'm beginner in Linux world. I'm also wondering if virtualization will work on this laptop, since I might need Windows for MS Office, because I'll be writing my thesis and most of our professors are using MS Office. I do like LibreOffice, but I'm afraid that it'll mess up the graphs and formatting when opened in Office. Since my SSD is quite low on storage I don't think dual-boot is a good option anymore since I only need MS Office from Windows (Spotify, VLC, GIMP, qbittorrent etc work perfectly on linux).

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Recommend distro for Latitude E7470

I looked at a review of Latitude E7470, you can use all available linux distros. So try several of them live, and select what you like the best,

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

Standard Ubuntu and Kubuntu have the fanciest desktop environments, if that is what you want. If you want to run virtual machines, it might be better to use a lighter desktop environment, as in Ubuntu MATE (medium light), but also Xubuntu (medium light) and Lubuntu (ultra light). But I think there is a good margin - it should work well with virtual machines. But the operating system in the virtual machine needs as much drive space as if installed alongside Ubuntu in a dual boot system. And in the end there is always a slowdown because of virtualization.

I don't know much about battery life (but I have read that linux will use more power for the same tasks as Windows). In general, I think a medium light or ultra light desktop environment will use less power, so it would increase the time until you must re-charge the battery.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! What version would you recommend, 16.04 as the latest or earlier ones? I really liked Ubuntu MATE actually in live-usb, it was fast and light-weight although it had some additional apps that are not included in Ubuntu 16.04 for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I recommend going with the one you like but I can tell you that I am using ubuntu mate 16.04 on a laptop with less resources then yours and it works great since April of this year and I love the desktop it uses.

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest that you try the version 16.04.1 LTS live (the first point release), and if it works well for you, install the flavour you like the best (which might turn out to be Ubuntu MATE).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I prefer xubuntu & mate, but I would wait until version 16.10;

Beans
    Distro

I'm running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 now and generally I'm very pleased, but I'm disturbed about the 'crack' sound of speakers every time I start a song or whenever I boot up Ubuntu. I've googled it previous times and I haven't managed to fix this on earlier laptops and other linux distros aswell. Do you guys have any recommendations? I didn't want to make new topic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

16.04, 64bit. As mentioned, you can try them all from the install media by selecting 'Try Ubuntu' at boot without changing anything on your drive. See what you like. I never use anything but a stripped back install with xfce4 desktop.

We get the question of 'what distro?' often. Thing is, what's right for me might be rotten for you. There are so many choices in the Linux realm it is impossible to say what is right for you. Only you can answer that. Dive in, swim around, stick with the prettiest fish (the one that suits your workflow the best).

My machines are customised for the way I work. I don't need bells and whistles. I want to think as little as possible about the fact there's a machine between me and the productivity tools. I want the machine or operating system to get in the way as little as possible. I am a touch-typist and want to forget I'm interacting with a computer when staring out the window deep in thought and bashing away. I only have apps I need and no bloat. I have shortcut keys for everything and nothing on the desktop, virtually nothing in the top taskbar. My setup would definitely not suit the majority of people. In fact, the majority of people would have trouble getting around on my setup! It's a wallpaper, that's it.

Try them out, see what you like, enjoy.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 13th, 2016 at 03:12 PM.