Thread: Two icons for same application in Dash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Two icons for same application in Dash

I'm getting two icons in the Dash for the same application. Unfortunately the two behave differently. One gets the application running with no problem. The other doesn't.
    If it's any help the wrong icon (and presumably .desktop file) get attached to The Launcher no matter how I launch the application.

Attached is a screenshot of the problem of double icons. In this case it is showing Jitsi.

How do I remove the wrong icon?

PS. Uninstalling, even purging, the application and re-installing it has no effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Two icons for same application in Dash

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I'm getting two icons in the Dash for the same application. Unfortunately the two behave differently. One gets the application running with no problem. The other doesn't.
    If it's any help the wrong icon (and presumably .desktop file) get attached to The Launcher no matter how I launch the application.

Attached is a screenshot of the problem of double icons. In this case it is showing Jitsi.

How do I remove the wrong icon?

PS. Uninstalling, even purging, the application and re-installing it has no effect.
    Wont' you have two desktop files for jitsi in /usr/share/applications? What do their Exec= lines look like? Maybe that may afford some clues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Wont' you have two desktop files for jitsi in /usr/share/applications? What do their Exec= lines look like? Maybe that may afford some clues?
    I've tried removing all the .desktop files for Jitsi, for example, and not found any difference. I've also tried changing the values in /usr/share/applications/jitsi.desktop to strange stuff just to see the changes but the changes don't show up. So The Launcher is getting its icon and other info from somewhere else.

However, the modified .desktop file is used by The Dash. See the attached image. The legitimate icon is labeled "jitsix" and has a CC icon. So I can see which of the two icons is legitimate (the changed one) rather than relying on position. Where is the illegitimate icon coming from? It's the one that the Launcher is pulling in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

By any chance would the output of
    Code:
    which jitsi
    or
    Code:
    locate jitsi
    help? Their site points to the same download for Ubuntu and Debian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    By any chance would the output of
    Code:
    which jitsi
    or
    Code:
    locate jitsi
    help? Their site points to the same download for Ubuntu and Debian
    which jitsi shows the executable with full path : /usr/bin/jitsi
    That executable works fine, except that the Launcher ends up with a lame icon. If I launch from the shell, things are ok, if I launch from the Launcher, then jitsi can't find my accounts

locate jitsi.desktop shows only the one true desktop file : /usr/share/applications/jitsi.desktop
    That's the one that can be modified as shown in the above post.

Beans

take a look in /usr/local/share/applications & ~/.local/share/applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    take a look in /usr/local/share/applications & ~/.local/share/applications
    Thanks. I checked. I have no /usr/local/share/applications/ directory at all but looking in ~/.local/share/applications/ there were some files which I grepped for "jitsi" One named "lib.desktop" was there and contained the wrong settings. Removing it fixed the situation: now the Dash shows only one icon, the correct one, for Jitsi, and when I bind it to the Launcher, it works as it should.