Thread: articles upselling moving from windows 10 to Linux

Beans

articles upselling moving from windows 10 to Linux

I have been advertising in my local community of upgrading from 10 to Linux. Been an IT in the area for a long time and actually first year people been asking me how to get off of windows 10. I am now wanting to make a flyer to educative people. (simple explanations and that on it all so they can see how simple it is.) I was wondering if anyone knows of any good articles I could read and get some ideas of what I will put on the flyer.

Thanks

Paul

For the most part, I am finding most people really find it easy. As I of course as the IT install everything for them initially and then they just use it.
    Last edited by zephar123; September 2nd, 2016 at 11:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: articles upselling moving from windows 10 to Linux

Not really a technical question, moved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Get amongst this. A ton of stuff you can print and tweak there; posters, brochures, etc. Hopefully that's of some use.

(PS: As you are probably aware, Ubuntu is not the only ship in the Canonical harbour. If they feel uncomfortable at all with the Unity desktop, you can always give them options. Xubuntu and Lubuntu are different and more lightweight, older style desktop. Then there's Mate and Kubuntu and ...

Doesn't matter about what flavour you go for. All apps available in Ubuntu are available in the others. Good luck.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 3rd, 2016 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm a Mate "Patreon." Best OS, that I've ever used on a PC, and I go all the way back to card reading.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I'm a Mate "Patreon." Best OS, that I've ever used on a PC, and I go all the way back to card reading.
    Out of curiosity, it seems that so many established users go for the lighter DEs instead of Gnome, KDE, Unity. Is there a reason for this? Is it that these are significantly faster. Reason I havent really tried them is that I love the modern looks.

Beans
    Distro

I find GNOME3 very annoying, and KDE to be too overwhelming, much more than I need for a UNIX-like OS. I used to use Unity, and I liked it because Canonical keeps it up to date well, but I find VMware does not play well with it. Thus I went with the XFCE for awhile, having learned it from OpenBSD & FreeBSD. I used it until it seemed to have issues with one of my Lenovo laptops, beginning with 16.04; Out of complete uncertainty, I tried Mate 16.04 and I have been a card carrying member since April.

Beans
    Distro

I think for people who are new to Linux, Mate can really smooth over the transition. It really goes out of its way to provide an environment that is very simple to navigate.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sorry if I sent this hurtling off-topic. That certainly wasn't my intention. While this is in a chat area, the OP did ask if
    Quote Originally Posted by zephar123 View Post
    ... anyone knows of any good articles I could read and get some ideas of what I will put on the flyer.
    Not about the pros and cons of various desktop environments or flavours. My post did actually start with a link for the OP to get some ideas on this.

So, as to the original question ... Anyone?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 4th, 2016 at 04:25 AM.