Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xenial KVM-QEMU-Libvirt VGA Passthrough nVidia Graphics To Windows

Beans

Re: Xenial KVM-QEMU-Libvirt VGA Passthrough nVidia Graphics To Windows

hmmm .. that's unfortunate.

Is this a new Windows install, or an existing install ? Which version of Windows ?

Which version of the nVidia driver ? Some of the older drivers were a bit easier to spoof.

How about the host .. is it a new install (Xenial ?) or an existing (eg. Trusty) or was it an upgrade (to Xenial say) from an "older" install ? That shouldn't make any difference, but you never know ...

As a last resort, have you seen this ... https://github.com/sk1080/nvidia-kvm-patcher - it may be worth a go
    Last edited by redger; September 6th, 2016 at 03:58 AM.

Beans

This is an fresh install onto a virtual disk, I can't get the install windows iso to work with gpu passthrough so I installed via QXL. This is currently 16.04 upgraded over a long period so it could be the issue but I doubt it because I'm using all vanilla packages. I think that's the culprit because a lot of the related packages were outdated with 16.04 but updated in Xenial (libvirt, virt-manager, qemu-kvm).

Beans

have you updated the VM machine definition ... I found I needed the latest UEFI bios, in my case I went from
    machine='pc-i440fx-trusty'
    to
    machine='pc-i440fx-2.5'

which caused a few heart pounding moments but was eventually accepted ok.

Is the VM a Seabios or UEFI install ? Which version of Windows (XP, 7, 8, 10) ?

Am I correct in assuming that the host is Xenial, upgraded from a prior Ubuntu release, but that the VM is new and you've experienced some trouble starting the install .... and then code 43 once the nVidia drivers are installed ??
    If you ten detach the video card from the VM and restart it does Windows recover and revert to the qxl / Spice interface ?

Beans

have you updated the VM machine definition ... I found I needed the latest UEFI bios, in my case I went from
    to
    machine='pc-i440fx-2.5'

Am I correct in assuming that the host is Xenial, upgraded from a prior Ubuntu release, but that the VM is new and you've experienced some trouble starting the install .... and then code 43 once the nVidia drivers are installed ??
    If you ten detach the video card from the VM and restart it does Windows recover and revert to the qxl / Spice interface ?

Beans

to
    machine='pc-i440fx-2.5'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by redger View Post
    @KillerKelvUK ... you may be amused to discover that I don't actually have the new GPU yet (still "on a boat") so cannot test. OTOH I found this for verifying the use of hyper-v enlightenments https://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg100181.html ... and some general background http://computerperformancebydesign.c...-introduction/ and https://www.linux-kvm.org/images/0/0...kvm_hyperv.pdf
    using us as your guinea pigs then lol

The first link you added here advises "for hv_vapic we also need x2apic to be enabled" and so shows the qemu command line as
    Code:
    -cpu qemu64,+x2apic,family=0xf,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0xfff,hv_relaxed,hv_time
    . Will make an adaption and retest but I've just grabbed the WinDBG tools so will do some pre/post observations again.

Beans

good to see a volunteer.

Follow me, I'm right behind you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Just seen this thread. I've spent the last few days performance optimizing my Windows 10 VM. I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04) with qemu 2.1.2 from ppa. Almost all as described in my how-to here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...f=231&t=212692.

I've run multiple benchmarks (Passmark 8 mainly, but also Userbenchmark) trying to squeeze out the last inch of performance. Here some conclusions:

1. The hyper-v extensions do have a little impact, but it's so small that it's difficult to quantify. With my Nvidia GTX 970 they do NOT affect 3d performance, but perhaps 2D performance. I doubt it will affect the Heaven benchmark. In general, with GPU passthrough, the graphics card is not affected by any tuning.
    2. CPU pinning has more impact, but again nothing to get too excited about. There are several drawbacks to it too.
    3. I still have to put it all together - I've run dozens of benchmarks with different settings - but almost all other settings such as -machine q35 or the disk configuration have a much higher impact, usually for the worse if misconfigured or not optimized.
    4. Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't find any means of checking whether or not Windows 10 uses the HV enlightenments - does anyone have a clue on how to test that?

Here is what I did:
    1. Patched the Nvidia driver under Windows has described here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...f=231&t=229122
    2. Changed my qemu start script - it now looks like this:
    Code:
    taskset -c 0-9 qemu-system-x86_64 \
      -serial none \
      -parallel none \
      -nodefaults \
      -nodefconfig \
      -enable-kvm \
      -name $vmname,process=$vmname \
      -machine q35,accel=kvm,kernel_irqchip=on,mem-merge=off \
      -cpu host,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff \
      -smp 10,sockets=1,cores=5,threads=2 \
      -m 20G \
      -mem-path /run/hugepages/kvm \
      -mem-prealloc \
      -balloon none \
      -rtc base=localtime,clock=host \
      -vga none \
      -nographic \
      -soundhw hda \
      -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,multifunction=on \
      -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.1 \
      -device vfio-pci,host=00:1a.0 \
      -device vfio-pci,host=08:00.0 \
      -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd \
      -drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/tmp/my_vars.fd \
      -boot order=c \
      -drive id=disk0,if=virtio,cache=none,format=raw,aio=native,file=/dev/mapper/lm13-win10 \
      -drive id=disk1,if=virtio,cache=none,format=raw,aio=native,file=/dev/mapper/photos-photo_stripe \
      -drive id=disk2,if=virtio,cache=none,format=raw,aio=native,file=/dev/mapper/media-photo_raw \
      -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap0,vhost=on \
      -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0,mac=00:16:3e:....
    taskset -c 0-9 is how I pin the VCPUs.

The biggest impact, however, was setting up the CPU governor. My clock rate would not go higher than 3.2 GHz, whereas my 3930K CPU is supposed to enter Turbo and reach 3.8 GHz.

Code:
    cpufreq-set -g powersave
    after checking that the turbo is enabled did the trick. I don't know why it didn't work in the first place. If I need some extra uumph I set it to "performance".

I should probably ask that on a separate thread: What's the big deal about virt-manager? Why should I want to use it if I anyway have to hack it's XML files?

Here my Userbenchmark results: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...f=231&t=197754 Note: I'm posting under the name powerhouse.

@redger: I think we crossed paths on this forum in the past
    Last edited by heiko_s; September 7th, 2016 at 11:16 PM.
    Pop!_OS 19.10 (Ubuntu 19.10) with a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit kvm guest using VGA passthrough

Beans

hi Heiko, I do recall previous discussion

PROGRESS: I have now received the new card, installed it, blacklisted the Nouveau driver (eventually - didn't realise I had [a] blacklist via Grub [b] regenerate intram-fs), bound it to pci-vfio and then started the VM. The VM started happily, so I removed the AMD drivers, instaleld the nVidia drivers and Bob's your uncle .. it worked !!

Thanks for the links. I read your thread about performance testing. Interesting. For me to conduct realistic performance testing at this stage will probably be more trouble than it's worth since this machine is already running a number if VMs which I am loth to stop for any significant period. These same VMs will probably "corrupt" performance testing. I have a "simple" 4 core Haswell processor in which 3 cores are allocated for guests and the 4th is for the host - that means the VM can "bounce around a bit" and the various VMs are going to interact in such a way that performance will be degraded from time to time - I've traded performance for throughput. For all that I would still like the benefit of all available performance enhancements (within the given constraints).

Why go with libvirt ? I previously used direct qemu command line. Libvirt advantages
    • Identification of options without having to trawl through screeds of detailed documentation which generally lacks context and usage advice
    • Parameter validation and consistency checking. This is a particular bugbear since it's easy to either mistype a parameter or choose conflicting parameters
    • Integrated components & locations eg. apparmor, ovmf etc
    • Easy access and monitoring through the graphical interface (virt-manager) through a single coherent integrated interface covering multiple VMs
    • No need to either run as root or mess around with permissions to be able to execute qemu using my own id(as I once did)
    • In the end it's just easier for me to use libvirt and virt-manager eg. I can create a new VM with gpu passthrough etc. in just a few minutes with a high probability of success first time and no need to use the cli

with respect to having to edit libvirt's xml, that's relatively minor in the scheme of things and is often / generally unnecessary - in this case it's just thanks to nVidia's consumer friendly practices (NOT !)

As for testing the impact of the hyper-v enlightenments I haven't tested the impact yet, not verified that they're in use.
    This is the best hyper-v reference I've found so far http://computerperformancebydesign.c...-introduction/ but have yet to find a discussion from someone who's used this to test in a reasonably rigorous manner.
    So far I can see games running faster though my historic test cases are not significantly improved in spite of half an order of magnitude (?) increase in GPU power ... a new test case with newer software shows frame rate improved by a factor of about 6 compared to the previous VM setup with a much older AMD graphics card ... but I do not have a bare metal baseline with the new card.
    The rubber will meet the road if / when I get on to gpu accelerated deep learning which will be very sensitive to speed of memory transfers
    Last edited by redger; September 8th, 2016 at 10:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Thanks for your reply, redger. I do remember your kvm tutorial here on the forum.

I guess I should try virt-manager, though for me it seems easier to modify a qemu script to make changes, or start a new VM. I will look at virt-manager once I can convince myself to upgrade to 16.04 (or Linux Mint 18) - I'm currently on 14.04 (LM 17.3). Never touch a running system!

As to performance, I have found that GPU performance does NOT vary, unless when the benchmark also heavily employs the CPU. Less than optimal qemu options (I guess that holds true for libvirt/virt-manager, too) can have a devastating effect on disk performance, and even CPU and memory performance can take a dive, but usually much less. This means that you usually won't notice a performance drop in a game, since most games are heavily GPU bound. You will notice a difference with disk-bound I/O heavy tasks, or where both disk and CPU is challenged.

While I haven't done a "benchmark" on it, I noticed yesterday that exporting/resizing a couple of TIFF files to jpg within Lightroom was significantly faster than before my tweaking. This task employs both multiple CPUs and disk I/O. I should probably build a benchmark around this - say converting 100 TIFFs and time it - because this type of benchmarking is much more down to earth than the abstract numbers that Passmark or Userbenchmark provide. The TIFF conversion task shows the performance of the entire system, as I believe Lightroom makes use of the GPU as well (I can turn that feature off and rerun the test).
    Pop!_OS 19.10 (Ubuntu 19.10) with a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit kvm guest using VGA passthrough

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12