Thread: ATI Video Card Problem on Ubuntu 16.04 (Can't play videos)

Beans

Unhappy ATI Video Card Problem on Ubuntu 16.04 (Can't play videos)

Hi! I installed ubuntu 16.04 on my computer and I'm having problems to play video (youtube don't videos don't work and video files neither). So the way I see it can have something to do with 2 things:

1) When I first put Ubuntu cd to install it, at first I got a black screen, so I had to change something about "nomodeset" (I googled it but know I can't remember exactly what I did).

2) I know this version of ubuntu has a driver problem with mi video card ATI 5770 HD Radeon, apparently the old driver doesn't work anymore, but I think I should be able to play videos on youtube and things like that...

Help?
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: ATI Video Card Problem on Ubuntu 16.04 (Can't play videos)

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Have you considered installing a lighter Buntu, say X/Lubuntu?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Hi, welcome to the fora.

Have you considered installing a lighter Buntu, say X/Lubuntu?
    Hi, why would I consider that? The only thing I want to do is to be able tu play videos, and my video card is good enough, it should be possible to watch videos with Ubuntu's full version I think. But maybe you know something I don't..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Xubuntu or Lubuntu 16.04 should make a good fit for your system . . . speed and more capabilities re media playback. Be sure to do these tweaks to optimize your system (especially #14 &15 re videos).

PS: "But maybe you know something I don't" . . . . ah, . . . . are you kidding Mr. 2 Beans?

http://www.noobslab.com/2016/04/important-20-tweaksthings-to-do-after.html
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; September 4th, 2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Corrections & amendment
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

under testing the driver:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

To look for boot messages/errors, check
    Code:
    dmesg | egrep 'drm|radeon'
    To see your OpenGL information, you can run the commands below. Make sure your OpenGL renderer string does not say "software rasterizer" or "llvmpipe" because that would mean you have no 3D hardware acceleration:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
    LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
    copy and paste these commands into terminal and let us know what you come up with (you cna copy the rtesult and post back here using the code tags - the # icon in advanced answer).

HD 5770 should be good enough to play videos and games.

option no. 2 is to use ubuntu 14.04 (not 14.04.5 or anything like that) and load the fglrx drivers which i think should still be available for this chip in that version.

my initial suspicion is that you somehow disabled the chips hardware acceleration by using nomodeset.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When you installed Ubuntu did you tick the box labeled "Install third party software?" When we tick that box we get some very useful audio & video codecs that are free to download and use but are nonetheless proprietary software. Non-free in the sense of not being open source.

Without those audio & video codecs certain types of audio & video files will not play. Those codecs come in a package called Ubuntu Restricted Extras. If those codecs were not installed as part of the installation of Ubuntu then this command will install them.

Code:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530