Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unity8-desktop-session now in yakkety repos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

unity8-desktop-session now in yakkety repos

No longer need ppa. (Probably for a while now.)

Libertine still having issues with control center but will create containers and run deb apps like firefox, gedit and xterm will work.

I had to do a fresh install. Typing this from a machine with NVIDIA GF110 [GeForce GT 610] with Gallium 0.4 on NVD9

regards..

Beans
    Distro

Re: unity8-desktop-session now in yakkety repos

Comment:

I will continue to test unity8 on nVidia graphics based form factors to see how it all pans out. It is obvious that unity8 with libertine is more Intel friendly but there is always a chance that this may change. If it is any consolation to anyone testing unity8 stack I am assured that top developers from Canonical have taken up the task to burn the midnight oil until they get it right.

...to be continued

... whether or not unity8 desktop and mir works well this round there is a novelty in having the libertine containers on the side. So if they can make this solid, stable and reliable on several various form factors that are amd64/i386 based it will be a bonus IMHO. Personally I like it. I can do things with containers more securely and I can run programs concurrently from different containers, actually getting the chance to push Intel VT chip features and actually use them.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; August 31st, 2016 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Comment:

I will continue to test unity8 on nVidia graphics based form factors to see how it all pans out. It is obvious that unity8 with libertine is more Intel friendly but there is always a chance that this may change. If it is any consolation to anyone testing unity8 stack I am assured that top developers from Canonical have taken up the task to burn the midnight oil until they get it right.

...to be continued

... whether or not unity8 desktop and mir works well this round there is a novelty in having the libertine containers on the side. So if they can make this solid, stable and reliable on several various form factors that are amd64/i386 based it will be a bonus IMHO. Personally I like it. I can do things with containers more securely and I can run programs concurrently from different containers, actually getting the chance to push Intel VT chip features and actually use them.

Regards..
    And I will be all eyes and ears here..
    Thanks Vent
    Last edited by 1fallen; September 1st, 2016 at 03:41 AM. Reason: added quote
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Curious - have you tried playback of video or audio files with a libertine installed player such as totem or vlc?
    (the built-in mediaplayer (mediaplayer-app??), doesn't seem able to handle any codecs except the 'free' ones such as ogg/vorbis & maybe flac, plus has no stop/pause button or any controls at all.
    Here no media player in libertine can initiate audio, not to mention the menus of players in libertine are 50-50 whether they drop down to use. (with no DnD in libertine app menus are a must.

Where is the file manager in unity8? There is little possibility people will use on Desktop installs without one.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    And I will be all ears here..
    Thanks Vent
    ..hehehe... thanks .. actually as I read over what I wrote I wonder if it is all a big yawner and to be honest .. when I think of unity8 I sometimes get the urge to go take a snooze or somthing But no .. really .. I am mostly enthusiastic most of the time about our new unity8 desktop. I think some real kewl and unique things will come to the forefront. I am not all that concerned about the apps store .. etc.. but I really like the libertine scope. It makes computering very simple yet intriguing and I think intrigue will motivate others to explore and discover.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First problem I had, when attempting to run an app, outline of a window, poof, no app.

Found http://mhall119.com/2016/05/dogfooding-unity-8 containing this tidbit....

sudo systemctl enable cgmanager

Theory being that previous attempts to play with Unity 8 left some configuration stuff that resulted in cgmanager being disabled.

Second problem, some error message about no being able to create a temporary file causing libertine to fail creating a container.
    Found https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pi...ly/009761.html

"The issue is caused by pam_tmpdir. The purpose of the pam module is
    to create a secure per-user tmpdir. The directory perms end up being
    0700 which denies everyone except for the user (and root)."
    "Workaround 1: Remove pam_tmpdir although it has its uses. For Ubuntu
    the package is libpam-tmpdir. It is pulled in as a recommend to tmux
    usually."

In addition to removing pam_tmpdir, I also removed tmux, since it's not something I use and don't know any reason for it to be installed.

Later, Seeker
    Last edited by seeker5528; September 3rd, 2016 at 11:46 PM.
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This is what I see from Unity8.

screenshot20160910_172515016.png

The scopes app doesn't work at all for me... Anyway, I think that Unity 8 will be stable and really usable in many years

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by enricobe View Post
    This is what I see from Unity8.

screenshot20160910_172515016.png

The scopes app doesn't work at all for me... Anyway, I think that Unity 8 will be stable and really usable in many years
    Yes.. his is what has happened to me continually with ppas or without ppas, on 16.04 and 16.10 installs. Any given update/upgrade will rip out all the scopes but I have seen this in testing with unity7 and nVidia back many cycles. It is frustrating that just when you tweak a working unity8 desktop to work with some functionality it gets ripped out out of the desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Yes.. his is what has happened to me continually with ppas or without ppas, on 16.04 and 16.10 installs. Any given update/upgrade will rip out all the scopes but I have seen this in testing with unity7 and nVidia back many cycles. It is frustrating that just when you tweak a working unity8 desktop to work with some functionality it gets ripped out out of the desktop.
    Some months ago (or maybe some years...) I've tried a Unity 8 desktop ISO (I remember it was called Ubuntu Next, but I may be wrong) and the scopes worked fine that time. Do you think this problem can be due to a conflict between Unity 7 and Unity 8?
    Last edited by enricobe; September 12th, 2016 at 06:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

All I know is that Mark has affirmed that he is committed to getting the job done, to have a working unity8 by release time (16.10) . This type of major breakage is expected around this time of the development cycle. Canonical has about 90 developers committed to just working on the unity8 desktop, at least that is how I understood Marks public comment on the issue.

I have several install with varied degrees of success. Some , the apps store will work. Libertine will work really well on both nVidia and Intel based graphics but then , out of the blue , the scopes get ripped out and I can't seem to get them back so I settle for fresh installs which seem to solve the problem. The ppa is still releasing updates but I am using both ppa based installs and non ppa based installs .. so I guess we just have to keep updating/upgrading .. maybe even turn off proposed repos.

Regards..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast