Thread: 100%cpus

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

100%cpus

I have an eerie problem on one laptop. It is really specific so here are the details. With the non admin user everything behaves normally. With the admin user it also behaves normally IF I login remotely either over LAN or WAN. However if I login from the local machine as admin I have a few seconds to pull up the system monitor and see it spawn multiple instances of every app and the cpus (4) all go to 100% and everything freezes. Can't logout or exit at all only hold down the power button. It is running xubuntu 16.04 with all updates installed daily. So something is making a local login spawn all the duplicates and in an minute or two everything is frozen. But logging in over LAN or WAN no issues whatsoever. And the non admin user works perfect either with a local login or over LAN or WAN. There must be some setting that is causing multiple launches of every process? I can reboot remotely and so can get back on OK but need this fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 100%cpus

you can check the logs and logs.old.

however an easier way might be to create a new admin user, see if the problem persists. if not, just use the new user and delete the old one. you probably set it like that accidentally. hard to say what you did to launch all apps on desktop login.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla