Thread: Install prompts in the terminal

Beans

Question Install prompts in the terminal

Hi All,

When I install some software via the terminal it prompts me to continue (yes or no) and others just install straight away without any prompt. Can someone explain why this is? I'm sure the answer is really straightforward

For example, when I install screenfetch I get prompted, when I install htop i don't:

Screenshot from 2016-08-14 15-36-35.png

Beans

Re: Install prompts in the terminal

You will get the prompt if you would install packages you didn't specifically specify or if packages will be removed as a result of the installation.

PS. The capital letter is the default, so if you see Y/n, then the Y is "active" and all you need do is press the enter key, ie, no need to type the Y key and then press the enter key. Always watch for packages which might be removed as a result of installing a package.

Beans

Thanks howefield, much appreciated!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mjruk View Post
    Thanks howefield, much appreciated!
    You are welcome, in your screenshot which is a little hard to read, you will see 4 packages which are required to be installed as part of installing the one(s) you specified, so the system is making you aware of that, and giving you the opportunity to back out.

There are ways around this if really wanted not to see the prompts, for instance using the -y option in most cases would install without the prompt but I'd not recommend using them until one is sure of the consequence.