Thread: Ubuntu Installation gone after installing windows.

Ubuntu Installation gone after installing windows.

I upgraded from windows 32 bit to windows 64 bit, and after the installation, I went to reinstall grub, but it failed. Now, my ubuntu installation (both partitions, / and /home) don't show up on the table. Using Gpart finds /, but not /home, where all of my data is. Is there a way to find it? No new data has been written.
    HP Mini 1103 | RAM: 1 GB | CPU: 1.66 GHZ (x1) | Xubuntu 16.04.1, Windows 10, Remix OS (x2)
    Samsung Chromebook xe303c12 | RAM: 2GB | CPU: 1.7 GHZ (ARM) | Ubuntu 14.04, Chrome OS (3)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Installation gone after installing windows.

What 'table' are you referring to? Windows won't show a Linux entry to boot, you would have to manually configure it yourself. How did you try to install Grub if you can't boot Ubuntu? Live CD? Boot any Linux Live CD/flash drive and open a terminal and as root/sudo run the following commands:

fdisk -l
    parted -l

Lower case Letter L in both commands. Post the output here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In a default ubuntu install there is no separate /home partition, unless you know you specifically created such /home is in /
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    In a default ubuntu install there is no separate /home partition, unless you know you specifically created such /home is in /
    And you can usually access all this from Ubuntu Live
    Ubuntu 18.04