Thread: How to reduce my file size without losing its quality?

Beans

How to reduce my file size without losing its quality?

I have a 530 mb file (mp4) and want to upload it in vimeo but there is limit for upload (500 mb). So I want to reduce the size for 30 or 40 mb. How I could do this without losing quality?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How to reduce my file size without losing its quality?

You could check the media using mediainfo to find its current bitrate quality then re-encode at lower bit rate though anything you do is likely to affect quality to a certain extent.

You may find that something like handbrake or winff will do this most easily for you unless you are happy to use avconv or ffmpeg in terminal.

Beans

Re: How to reduce my file size without losing its quality?

You can't technically use a lossy encoder without losing quality. However, you can't use a lossless encoder because the file will be huge, so you have to accept some quality loss. This does not necessarily mean that the output looks bad.

This is a good case for using two-pass encoding because you're targeting a specific output file size. I can't give you an exact custom example command because you did not provide any info about your input file, but an example is here:
    FFmpeg Wiki: H.264 Video Encoding