Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More then one swap partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

More then one swap partition

Hello everyone this may be a easy question but I just wanted to make sure what's needed

I have one machine that is already running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04, I wanted to add another distribution of Linux to this machine but wanted to make sure if I need to create another swap partition for the new installation. Ubuntu 16.04 already a swap partition do I add one for every installation I install of Linux

Thanks so much

Beans

Re: More then one swap partition

One swap partition is all you need for multi booting Linux distros.

If a swap partition exists Linux will find and use it.

Beans

One swap partition shared by all Linux distros is all that's necessary.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is best to create A swap for each OS installed.
    Short answer: You can use the same swap partition as the data in swap is not preserved from one boot to the next. It is totally normal to have multiple linux installations on a disk with a single swap.

There is one exception/caveat I know of, however: if you use hibernate (aka, 'suspend to disk'), hibernate uses your swap space for storage. If you then boot another system that also uses hibernate (or perhaps even one that doesn't), you could create some very nasty problems.
    See This: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5656/are-there-any-side-effects-when-two-distros-share-a-swap-partition

Last edited by QDR06VV9; August 5th, 2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added Info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You know the best thing about Linux is the people that manage this forum, Thanks so much guys for your fast reply

I see some say one and some say more then one It's better to more then one option and I do appreciated it
    Last edited by RobGoss; August 5th, 2016 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You don't need to create another swap-partition, you can use the already existing.
    Just mount this existing partition during installation.
    If you have separate /home-partition, it would be necessary to create one /home-partition for each distribution which you install, otherwise it would lead to conflicts with configuration files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    It is best to create A swap for each OS installed.
    Short answer: You can use the same swap partition as the data in swap is not preserved from one boot to the next. It is totally normal to have multiple linux installations on a disk with a single swap.

There is one exception/caveat I know of, however: if you use hibernate (aka, 'suspend to disk'), hibernate uses your swap space for storage. If you then boot another system that also uses hibernate (or perhaps even one that doesn't), you could create some very nasty problems.
    See This: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5656/are-there-any-side-effects-when-two-distros-share-a-swap-partition

How are ya Runrickus I don't use hibernate what so ever on any of my machines I have no need to but I see what you're saying

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    How are ya Runrickus I don't use hibernate what so ever on any of my machines I have no need to but I see what you're saying
    I am well thanks...Just wanted you to be aware is all.
    Can be a bit tough to trouble shoot..if you lose Data when an OS goes to Hibernation and Booting or Resuming another OS from Hibernation.
    That's the only message I wanted you to see.

Beans

There is no (easy) hibernate in Ubuntu but you may have in other distributions, so I suppose it could be an issue.

Fwiw, I'd recommend one swap partition and one /Data partition containing Documents, Downloads, Music ect ect for each installation to symlink to and /home in each partition/installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Runrickus, I grateful for you taking the time to point out what's needed for multi OS's, I'm chopping down my Windows partitions and so there will be none thank you so much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast