Thread: 16.04 LTS - Switching to nvidia drivers causes X to terminate after login

Beans

Exclamation 16.04 LTS - Switching to nvidia drivers causes X to terminate after login

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on an Acer Aspire V3-771G w/ Nvidia GT 640M (plus Intel onboard graphics/Optimus technology).

Nouveau works without issues. I also dual boot Windows 10 and use the Nvidia card via Optimus without problems there.

When I use the Additional Drivers application to switch to Nvidia 361.42 (proprietary, tested), after a restart:
    - The login screen appears
    - Attempting to login causes the screen to flash, an error message on a text console is displayed for a few milliseconds, and I am returned to the login screen.

How would we go about troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 16.04 LTS - Switching to nvidia drivers causes X to terminate after login

apatters; Humm ...

Graphic's driver failed to build ?

We will see, 1st - one thing at a time. We need to get a terminal activated.
    At the login screen key combo ctl+alt+F1 to gain a console interface.
    Here login with your credentials - user name and password . ( there will be no response to the screen when pass word is entered, enter the password blindly and hit the enter key) .

If you can activate this terminal and log into the system we can then look at logs and such and find out the situation.

It is all a process
    we find where it fails.
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Hi, yes I can ctrl+alt+F1 and log in at the terminal.

Seeing as LightDM comes up I imagine some kind of graphics driver must be running but I don't know what.

What's next? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

apatters; Hey hey ...

Looking up .. yes - we have a terminal .. so the system is stable ! .. There is hope ! That the issue lies within that X layer.

OK, a small thing just to get it out of the way. Do "YOU" have the authority to access the GUI layer ?
    What returns:
    Code:
    ls -al .Xauthority
    ls -al .ICEauthority
    And we want to know what X is doing about graphics, that info is in a log file. Would behoove us greatly to see this log file. There is a easy way to transfer this file so we can read it:
    We can use out pastebin site.
    Install the tool :
    Code:
    sudo apt install pastebinit
    Now execute:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
    where the result is a URL back in terminal.
    Copy and paste that link from the last command into your next post such that we now can read that system file.

Once we know a bit more
    we do a bit more

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Hi Bashing-om,

When I switched back to nvidia-361 today I was surprised to find that now it works!

After a restart I was able to log into an X session without problems.

Running nvidia-settings revealed that actually despite installing the nvidia driver the system was still using my Intel onboard graphics, so I changed that setting and restarted again.

Subsequently nvidia-settings started displaying configuration options for the GT 640M GPU instead of Intel and when I run glxgears I can see the GPU utilization max out.

So I think we are there and the issue is resolved! I wonder why I was having trouble before. I will post again if I encounter further issues.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

apatters; Well ..

'buntu in some instances is in fact self healing, given the opportunity .
    Here I will surmise was a corrupted /etc/X11/xorg.conf that got rebuilt in the switching about .

As all is now good:
    Please mark this thread solved;
    aides others seeking the solution,
    helps keep the forum clean and
    precludes others miss-directing efforts to aid.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

good thing too happen

Happy ubuntu'n !