Thread: How do I change full name for an existing user, and display full name in the panel?

Beans

How do I change full name for an existing user, and display full name in the panel?

I know it was possible in pre-16.04 releases, but I can't remember. In 16.04.1 (Unity), the System Settings/User Accounts applet allows for entry of a full name when creating a new account, but doesn't seem to allow updating an existing account.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I change full name for an existing user, and display full name in the pa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I change full name for an existing user, and display full name in the pa

In the user accounts page just click on the box in the main window area that contains the Full Name.
    (it has an image box next to it and the Account Type is listed just below.)
    Simply edit this and the Full Name will be changed.

To add the full name to the panel, though whether or not you like it either install dconf-editor or run this command
    Code:
    dconf write /apps/indicator-session/show-real-name-on-panel true
    If you use dconf editor just follow the path. Which is simple enough; apps > indicator-session > show-real-name-on-panel > check or uncheck
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There is also an option to "show name in panel" in User Accounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images