Thread: how do i install mainline kernel 4.7 from ppa download on ubuntu 16.04 successfully?

Beans

Question how do i install mainline kernel 4.7 from ppa download on ubuntu 16.04 successfully?

how do i install mainline kernel 4.7 from ubuntu canonical ppa and sudo dpkg -i the kernels debs on ubuntu 16.04 successfully without breaking any modules and for successful reboot ?

i do not mind using nouveau instead of nvidia driver if it must be done.

thank you
    Last edited by craymore; July 30th, 2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: please move to installation/upgrades

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: how do i install mainline kernel 4.7 from ppa download on ubuntu 16.04 successful

this tool makes it easier
    https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-...Kernel-Updater
    if you want to know which beds you need to do it manually i need to know if you are using 32 or 64bit
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Exclamation Re: how do i install mainline kernel 4.7 from ppa download on ubuntu 16.04 successful

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    this tool makes it easier
    https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-...Kernel-Updater
    if you want to know which beds you need to do it manually i need to know if you are using 32 or 64bit
    thank you very much. for some reason despite it download the correct debs it does not patch it for ubuntu 16.04 despite it being on the Ubuntu ppa.

can you or anyone assist me with Kernel 4.7 ?

thanks

Beans

Thumbs up Re: how do i install mainline kernel 4.7 from ppa download on ubuntu 16.04 successful

i can confirm kernel 4.7 does work with this script despite me trying to do it manually failing and just with nouveau driver as i desired it.

thanks !

ubuntu 16.04 LTS

sorry for the panic. i watched it in real time and didn't believe it would work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: how do i install mainline kernel 4.7 from ppa download on ubuntu 16.04 successful

Please mark thread solved using *Thread Tools* in the top toolbar for the benefit of others searching for solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You should file a bug report about your issue with the 4.4 kernel so it helps others that may have the same problem. See https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1011078

By using a 4.7 kernel you may miss some of the security updates Ubuntu will have in the newer 4.4 kernels as Grub will keep using the 4.7 kernel even if the newest 4.4.0-? has better security updates

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

if you want the nvidia driver you may need this ppa when using the mainline kernel
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    if you don't plan to use the nvidia driver or virtualbox you probably will not need the header package, the script defaults to giving that to you, see the --help options for more info
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post