Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16.04.1 would be better if the display worked

Beans

Re: 16.04.1 would be better if the display worked

If I had a newer monitor with HDMI connection???

Beans

I reinstalled 14.04.
    I burned a copy of 16.04.1 . I gave it a try but while I hear it wrrrrrrr the screen stays blank.
    I'll try again when that bug is fixed: No Display ( that's a biggy huh?!)

Display is TEAC Model LCD-1910
    Last edited by MadMax2; July 31st, 2016 at 02:41 AM.

Beans

Has this been fixed yet?
    16.04.1 with AMD Kaveri boots to black screen
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/80550...o-black-screen
    I reinstalled Trusty Thar in the meantime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax2 View Post
    I reinstalled 14.04.
    I burned a copy of 16.04.1 . I gave it a try but while I hear it wrrrrrrr the screen stays blank.
    I'll try again when that bug is fixed: No Display ( that's a biggy huh?!)

Display is TEAC Model LCD-1910
    Can you please, describe how you did the re-install and kept the content of the /home dir? my 16.04 install has kernel issues and I need to re-install.
    thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stephenbbb View Post
    Can you please, describe how you did the re-install and kept the content of the /home dir? my 16.04 install has kernel issues and I need to re-install.
    thanks
    Is /home on a separate partition/disk ?

If not, then install over the / partition but don't mark it for formatting, all on the / folder should be wiped with the exception of the /home folder.

If /home is on a separate partition then mount it during the installation at the partitioning stage but again, don't mark it for formatting.

As always, ensure a backup of any important data is done before tackling the process.

Beans

Yeah, it seems that 16.04.1 really is a no go for us AMD-users, the first time I booted the computer I was able to log into Gnome (using Ubuntu Gnome) but after that I just see a GDM screen and after I put in my password the screen goes more or less blank. This is a fresh install so you shouldn't be able to blame fglrx and during the install and first boot I didn't even have a working network since the kernel is a bit to old to work with some of Realtek network cards.

The funny thing is Elementary OS works like a charm, it is just that it's a tad bit to elementary for me *pun intended*.

If someone has a idea what could be wrong, I would be happy to be your guinea pig. Or I might just use a install a disto that doesn't discriminate against us poor AMD users .
    Last edited by freddan80; August 18th, 2016 at 09:42 PM.

Beans

[QUOTE=freddan80;13532849]
    The funny thing is Elementary OS works like a charm...
    As the current release of Elementary is based on Ubuntu 14.04, it isn't really so funny. You may have to revisit the issue when and if you upgrade to Loki when it is released.

If someone has a idea what could be wrong, I would be happy to be your guinea pig. Or I might just use a install a disto that doesn't discriminate against us poor AMD users .
    Please start a new thread detailing your issue rather than tacking on to another.

Beans

[QUOTE=howefield;13532989]
    Quote Originally Posted by freddan80 View Post

As the current release of Elementary is based on Ubuntu 14.04, it isn't really so funny. You may have to revisit the issue when and if you upgrade to Loki when it is released.

Please start a new thread detailing your issue rather than tacking on to another.
    I'm using Elementary OS beta Loki and that is based on 16.04.1 and everything work as it should but I need my Gnome back and there for I'm back with Ubuntu Gnome.

I will make a new thread as you so rudely suggested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12