Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Precautions to take before moving up from 14.04 to 16.04.1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Precautions to take before moving up from 14.04 to 16.04.1

My rsync is run from my SSD, but actual files are on HDD linked into /home. But I also copy to flash drive. No issue with either.

I also backup most critical files to DVD. When almost everything fit on DVD, I did have some files that it gave me errors on, as file name was too long and it shortened them. They were some downloads of files that then I did not particularly worry about.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Just for the record : I've done the clean install of 16.04.1 and loaded my data back from my backup copy. I didn't do a restore or anything complicated - I just clicked and slid the stuff I wanted from by backup drive to my new installation.

On the matter of changing the username : I did the clean install with a new username (my initials instead of my firstname). Sliding the old data files into the new installation automatically took care of the apparently different ownership. No remedial action was needed on my part and so my worries were for nothing.
    Last edited by Nosphky; August 12th, 2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Great news.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12