Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu netbook remix in 2016?

Beans

Ubuntu netbook remix in 2016?

is it possible to make ubuntu netbook remix 10.4 or 10.10 work in 2016 (i dont know which version is better). i found my old netbook and would like to use it i personally dont like the light os like lubuntu or linux lite i also checked antix but i like ubuntu very much. i would also like to know what is not working?? could someone help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu netbook remix in 2016?

Moved to General Help.

You would be installing something that is well beyond End Of Life, does not get security updates and would not have a repo easily available from which to install software.

It would be terribly irresponsible for us to even begin to try to help you with this.

You might be able to do a minimal installation and build from there, but to be honest it is unlikely that Unity would run if this is a low spec machine.
    Last edited by QIII; July 26th, 2016 at 07:42 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

it's dual core 1.6, 2gb ram and 500hdd i am not sure but i think version is samsung n140 it worked great with linux mint, i just like ubuntu more, i also had problems that i couldnt see head of windows in some programs in mint...
    i decided to switch on some more light os, since a lot of light os looks like win xp, i would like to try to optimize this version
    what kind of security is problem? i am average user which dont know to compile, i would use it for web, office and some movies and music, bluetooth and camera also are must, so i dont worry very much

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have a look at lubuntu. Lightweight, and up-to-date.

Beans

i will do lubuntu instalation later, i tried it like demo version and dont like it

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by bojan.1995 View Post
    it's dual core 1.6, 2gb ram and 500hdd i am not sure but i think version is samsung n140 it worked great with linux mint, i just like ubuntu more, i also had problems that i couldnt see head of windows in some programs in mint...
    I used to have a similar specification netbook on which both Xubuntu and Lubuntu ran very well. I tried Ubuntu (12.04 I think). It wasn't too bad but also had some settings dialogs that were too big for the netbook's screen and couldn't be resized.

I'd definitely go with a lighter flavour. Ubuntu MATE might also be worth looking at.

Beans

can someone compile this for me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just download the ISO image and use it in the normal way.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

https://ubuntu-mate.org/about/

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

i dont want mate thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think you have two choices: run Xubuntu 16.04, or buy a more capable laptop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast