Thread: Goodbye Chrome (and Chromium)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Goodbye Chrome (and Chromium)

Hello all! Let me preface this by saying that I am by no means putting down Google Chrome (or Chromium) or its users. The point to this post is to simply open up a channel to allow users to vent, especially if they've encountered similar issues as myself.

I have been an avid user of Chrome for the past few years (almost since it initially released), during which time I found it to be the fastest, most feature filled, and most robust web browser available on almost any platform. I have been overly impressed with its ability to handle HTML 5 YouTube videos well before Firefox, and the fact that it included an up to date version of Flash Player for Linux.

Lately, however, I have begun to notice a couple of issues (one of which being the reason why I decided to leave Chrome). First off, I am noticing that it no longer feels distinguishably faster than other browsers such as Firefox. This may have something to do with the fact that Firefox seems to have been able to catch up quite a bit, as well as the fact that most consumer grade computers aren't really getting any faster for most tasks but the pages that make up the world wide web seem to have been getting heavier and heavier

Secondly, I have been noticing a majorly annoying bug in Google Chrome ever since upgrading to 16.04. The bug being that web pages constantly flicker on the screen during movement, and content seems to go unrendered (almost as if Chrome forgot to render some elements). This has caused me to look for solutions, none of which worked, and most of which were far too technical for me to want to deal with (I don't tinker as much anymore since I have far less time than I used to between my daughter and work).

Because I need everything to just work, and I'm not noticing the bug in Firefox, I've decided to migrate all of my bookmarks and go back to Firefox. Another part of the reason to go back to Firefox is that I almost never use Flash anymore (which was the primary reason to hold onto Chrome) since HTML 5 has pretty much taken over YouTube completely (which is where I am at most of the time). Whenever I do come across Flash, I use an extension to block it so that way it only loads up when I actually want it to.

Anyone else have similar issues with Chrome?
    System76 Lemur5 (64-bit) - Antergos
    Dell Dimension 4500 (32-bit) - Win XP Pro (Down)
    Gateway NV59C (64-bit) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04
    2014 Mac mini - Sierra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Goodbye Chrome (and Chromium)

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kale_Freemon View Post
    ... Whenever I do come across Flash, I use an extension to block it so that way it only loads up when I actually want it to.
    Why not just click to play?

Beans

If you liked using Chrome or Chromium give Slimjet a try as IMO it smokes any other browser around at present date.

Also a lot more settings to tweak for privacy.

http://www.slimjet.com/
    Last edited by poorguy; July 24th, 2016 at 07:27 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've installed Vivaldi as a secondary browser. I may try Slimjet a try as I'm not seeing a lot of controls for ad limiting or javascript control unless I'm not looking in the right places - always a possibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Late reply, but: thank you Poorguy. I've never been so happy with a browser as with Slimjet. Lightning fast, great privacy, all Chrome extensions.
    All in all, Linux is better.

Beans

Chrome, Firefox, Opera... They are all bloated to the core. Nothing has been as fast and lightweight to me as Pale Moon.

Support for some Firefox extensions, pre-Australis UI, great HTML5 support since v.27 and devs that actually listen to their users.