Thread: Cloud sync services fully compatible with linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cloud sync services fully compatible with linux?

Hello all,
    I wanted to hear what is your opinion on the best cloud services out there, that are fully compatible with Linux (and windows), offer enough storage space (eventually with a reasonable yearly fee) and offer good guarantee of safety when it comes to privacy.

I've used dropbox for some years, but 2gb is very little, and the security does not look top. I'm using box.com, where I have 50gb due to an old offer, but it does not work on Linux.
    I was reading about alternatives such as Mega, which offer 50gb, but not sure it's very safe. Spideroak is well known, but only free trial.
    Any experience/suggestions?

Best,
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Re: Cloud sync services fully compatible with linux?

USB here. Several. Rsync. 2 copies.
    Local and off-site.

Very Cheap.
    Last edited by Habitual; July 22nd, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Microsoft OneDrive. I syncs perfectly with my Xubuntu desktop, my Chromebook and obviously Windows. It is what my wife and I use and it is the only one that works well with all of our devices.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/67621...n-ubuntu-14-04

Beans

Cool Re: Cloud sync services fully compatible with linux?

Quote Originally Posted by LK_gandalf_ View Post
    Hello all,
    I wanted to hear what is your opinion on the best cloud services out there, that are fully compatible with Linux (and windows), offer enough storage space (eventually with a reasonable yearly fee) and offer good guarantee of safety when it comes to privacy.

I've used dropbox for some years, but 2gb is very little, and the security does not look top. I'm using box.com, where I have 50gb due to an old offer, but it does not work on Linux.
    I was reading about alternatives such as Mega, which offer 50gb, but not sure it's very safe. Spideroak is well known, but only free trial.
    Any experience/suggestions?

Best,

Hii, I'm busy with finding out myself through the wiki:

there is is some realy good information related to sync-backup and cloud storage..
    Have look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ation_software

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ackup_services

There is even more on wiki..I hope you find something good and better

Beans

I've been well satisfied for several years now with CrashPlan.

They provide back-up of my LinuxMint desktop (including its Virtual Box installation of Windows 10 -- for the unavoidable need to prepare U.S. income-tax returns) and of my wife's Windows 10 desktop. Together, our storage amounts to just under 2 TB, and CrashPlan handles us for a reasonable annual fee.

I've had to use them a few times over the years, and I've always been pleasantly impressed with the ease and speed of recovery of files.

For quick and easy exchanges of files with my laptop, my wife's desktop and my VB installation of Win10, I rely on DropBox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My file backup and sync requirements are mostly over LAN connected devices. I have a router running DD-WRT and with a USB port. I plug a flash drive into the USB port and there's my Poor Man's NAS. I have a GMX email account which includes 2 GB. online storage but I haven't used that. It mostly depends on how much sophistication and capacity you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I really need a simple alternative to dropbox which would be safer. I know you are never safe with cloud, but there are certainly many degrees of safety.
    Spideroak is usually presented as a good example, but it only offers 2gb and was wondering if there are good alternatvies with at least 10-15gb.
    I'd continue to use box.com, which seems quite robust and professional, but it has no sync client for linux. You can mount the folder with webdav, but it's not an ideal solution for syncing.
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)