Thread: [SOLVED] Is there a possibility to divide this thread to sub-forums?

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

[SOLVED] Is there a possibility to divide this thread to sub-forums?

Is there a possibility to divide this thread to sub-forums, so people who use Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Mate etc can find everything in one place? For example, Ubuntu Studio has a separate sub-forum.
    Last edited by Chanath; June 23rd, 2017 at 08:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Is there a possibility to divide this thread to sub-forums?

Hello!

Given the ratio of general questions that apply without regard to DE and those that deal specifically with a particular DE, I don't think we'd be in a great hurry to go to the trouble of adding a number of new sub-forums, whose number might change. We would also have to maintain that and we have a limited amount of time to volunteer here.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "divide this thread to sub-forums", but I think you mean, can we create specific sub-forums for each of the Ubuntu flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    For example, Ubuntu Studio has a separate sub-forum.
    Perhaps you missed the large blue notice at the top of the Ubuntu Studio sub-forum. It was closed to new threads some time ago, the last of the flavour-specific sub-forums to be so closed. This was in line with our practice over the last few years to rationalise both the home page and the former bewildering cascade of sub-forums, sub-sub-forums, and so on. That work is ongoing.

The short answer to your question is: no. There are thread prefixes for each of the Ubuntu flavours, which work well if you want to search for only Ubuntu Mate - for example - using the forum search facility.

Edit: Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

You posted in the Desktop Environments forum, which is for technical support for your DE. Forum Feedback & Help is the place for discussing overall forum design and function.
    Last edited by coffeecat; June 22nd, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "divide this thread to sub-forums", but I think you mean, can we create specific sub-forums for each of the Ubuntu flavours.

Perhaps you missed the large blue notice at the top of the Ubuntu Studio sub-forum. It was closed to new threads some time ago, the last of the flavour-specific sub-forums to be so closed. This was in line with our practice over the last few years to rationalise both the home page and the former bewildering cascade of sub-forums, sub-sub-forums, and so on. That work is ongoing.

The short answer to your question is: no. There are thread prefixes for each of the Ubuntu flavours, which work well if you want to search for only Ubuntu Mate - for example - using the forum search facility.

Edit: Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

You posted in the Desktop Environments forum, which is for technical support for your DE. Forum Feedback & Help is the place for discussing overall forum design and function.
    This is about the Desktop Environments, rather than Forum Feedback.
    At least could we have a button/icon or something like that so, we can filter the entries on different DEs.
    If I am interested in looking for Xubuntu DE matters, for example, all other DE matters won't be of interest to me. I hope you'd understand what I mean.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Since you are talking about how the Forum itself functions, then the question has been appropriately moved to FF&H.

And again, no. We will not be changing the Forums. You may already use the search features for what you need. Alternatively, you may use Google so:

Code:
    site:ubuntuforums.org search terms here
    Please do not belabor this. You have your answer.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

At least could we have a button/icon or something like that so, we can filter the entries on different DEs.
    If I am interested in looking for Xubuntu DE matters, for example, all other DE matters won't be of interest to me. I hope you'd understand what I mean.
    More or less, and I've already told you how. Let me be more explicit.

Click on "Advanced Search" top-right of any page. Leave the keyword, username and tag fields blank. Now under "Additional options" choose 'Desktop Environments' in the 'Search in Forum' field, and 'xubuntu' in the 'search by prefix' field. Now click on the "search now" button and, voilą , you have all the threads prefixed with xubuntu in the Desktop Environments sub-forum listed. If you want to narrow your search, you can specify details in the other fields. You should also search for the xfce prefix, because those who have installed xfce in another flavour of Ubuntu will probably use that prefix, and the threads may be of interest to Xubuntu users.

Which leads to why your suggestion of a number of flavour-specific sub-fora in the Desktop Environments section is impractical. Let's use Xubuntu as an example. People using Xubuntu itself would use the Xubuntu sub-forum - that's easy. But what about those who've installed their operating system using the standard Ubuntu installer, who have then installed the xubuntu-desktop package with all its dependencies, and who experience a problem in the xfce desktop? The Ubuntu sub-forum or the Xubuntu sub-forum? Strictly speaking, that's not Xubuntu, even though they're more likely to find those who can help in the Xubuntu forum. Some will post in one sub-forum, others in another. Or Kubuntu with xubuntu-desktop installed? Or Ubuntu with the xfce4 package and dependencies - that's vanilla xfce without the xubuntu-specific modifications. Xubuntu or Ubuntu? Or, heaven forbid, do we have Unity, Gnome, Xfce, Lxde and whatever else sub-fora as well?

It would be an absolute mess, and would involve significant unnecessary staff time, moving misplaced threads from one sub-forum to another, and trying to decide where on earth a thread about login page problems in Kubuntu with lubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop packages installed belongs.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    More or less, and I've already told you how. Let me be more explicit.

Click on "Advanced Search" top-right of any page. Leave the keyword, username and tag fields blank. Now under "Additional options" choose 'Desktop Environments' in the 'Search in Forum' field, and 'xubuntu' in the 'search by prefix' field. Now click on the "search now" button and, voilą , you have all the threads prefixed with xubuntu in the Desktop Environments sub-forum listed. If you want to narrow your search, you can specify details in the other fields. You should also search for the xfce prefix, because those who have installed xfce in another flavour of Ubuntu will probably use that prefix, and the threads may be of interest to Xubuntu users.
    Excellent!
    I've been here quite a long time, but didn't know that I can search by prefix. I don't usually have any trouble with 'buntus. Right now, I am having a problem with the touchpad, so the interest in finding a solution. But, this problem might not be a 'buntu related one.
    Thanks and have a nice day!
    Last edited by Chanath; June 23rd, 2017 at 08:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Excellent!
    I've been here quite a long time, but didn't know that I can search by prefix. I don't usually have any trouble with 'buntus. Right now, I am having a problem with the touchpad, so the interest in finding a solution. But, this problem might not be a 'buntu related one.
    Thanks and have a nice day!
    Just fyi - search by prefix fails once a thread is marked solved as the prefix will change from Xubuntu (etc) to Solved.