Thread: Installed synaptics-lts-vivid, touchpad stopped responding

Beans

Installed synaptics-lts-vivid, touchpad stopped responding

I have a Synaptics SynPS/2 TouchPad with a growing variety of problems on an Acer Aspire R5-471T laptop running Ubuntu 16.04. I have another thread where I've asked about those problems, but this is a new one.

Since installing 16.04 I've noted that I wind up pasting a lot of text I don't want to and accidentally closing tabs, and I realized today both of these unwanted behaviors were due to a middle click that doesn't appear in the trackpad options in the System Settings. I found this advice for disabling right clicks

http://askubuntu.com/questions/21783...of-my-trackpad

and thought I would follow along the first part but disable the middle click instead of the right. So I did

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-lts-vivid

The touchpad immediately stopped responding. I did uninstall, but nothing changed. I typically suspend and unsuspend or restart to get this trackpad responding again (it stops maybe once a day lately, so this was not obviously unusual), but trying to suspend, restart, or shut down via the menu items were unsuccessful. So I did a hard reset. When things came back, the desktop icons were blown up to a huge size and the trackpad was still nonresponsive. Clicks do nothing and the cursor doesn't move.

What can I do to get the trackpad up and running again?

Beans

Re: Installed synaptics-lts-vivid, touchpad stopped responding

[bump]

For example, is there a standard suite of drivers one uninstalls and reinstalls in this instance? I've found an external mouse more or less works fine, but the trackpad is just not responding anymore.

Beans

bump

Beans

bump

If anyone has any ideas how to get this touchpad working, it'd be very much appreciated. Please.

Beans

The solution was to press Fn+F7.