Thread: Trouble installing Ubuntu on Acer Aspire 3000

Beans

Trouble installing Ubuntu on Acer Aspire 3000

Hello everyone. I have an old Asus Aspire 3000 that has Windows XP installed. When I tried to install the version 14.04 from USB, Ubuntu skipped every step until the final screen such as login and password (both unknown). So the step of formatting Disk C was skipped also.

Is it that the laptop is too old or something else?

Acer Aspire 3000 (technical info):
    Video Card: Mobile AMD Sempron processor 2800+
    Memory: 40GB HDD (not formatted from XP)
    RAM: 256MB

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trouble installing Ubuntu on Acer Aspire 3000

Welcome. There is no way you are going to get a supported release of Ubuntu running on that, 14.04 or otherwise. Unlikely you'd get Lubuntu running on it, the lightest of the official Ubuntu flavours, and if you did it would probably be fairly unusable, so I'd stop there and start looking for an extremely lightweight Linux OS that is not part of the official Ubuntu family.

Or buy a heap of RAM, but doubt that machine would take more than a gb or two which still wouldn't be enough for Ubuntu, but you might get away with Lubuntu. Also, not sure if that GPU is still supported.

I have little knowledge of non-Ubuntu lightweight Linux OSs but others do and hopefully can give you some ideas soon, but in the meantime, you might like to start the learning curve by looking here and here. Good luck.

(PS: If you have a quick look for the 'Raspberry Pi', a little pocket sized computer, you'll notice that many of their models have more impressive specs than the old dear you have. Points for trying to resurrect it, though, and I totally support your efforts to do so, don't get me wrong, just that you won't be able to do it with Ubuntu or one of it's derivatives I don't think. I'm amazed you got to any part of the install, let alone the end!)

(PPS: Just out of curiousity, how are you installing Ubuntu? Booting from install media> Install Ubuntu> Use whole disk? Try booting from install media and 'Try Ubuntu' instead. My guess is you'll crash there. Let us know.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 14th, 2016 at 06:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

In addition to the post above I would suggest the alternate Lubuntu.

A very limited browser like links2 is worth trying. It takes some time to get used to but the reward is that news browsing is free from ads and distractions. I use it also for strong hardware.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    In addition to the post above I would suggest the alternate Lubuntu.

A very limited browser like links2 is worth trying. It takes some time to get used to but the reward is that news browsing is free from ads and distractions. I use it also for strong hardware.
    +1. And there you go. I'd definitely give Lubuntu Alternate a try. Let us know what happens.

* PS and Update: Looking at another thread and not even thinking about this one, I found Ubuntu Remix. The current Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is available and I would give it a go. Not sure if it will install, but you can certainly set up a portable Ubuntu by the looks of it.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 14th, 2016 at 07:35 AM.