Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 freezes; dual monitor setup on iMac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Ubuntu 16.04 freezes; dual monitor setup on iMac

Ever since upgrading from Ubuntu 15.10 to 16.04, I have experienced a lot freezes. These are freezes I could not recover from with ctrl-alt-F1; I had to hard reboot. The freezes occur almost daily, typically 1-3 times per day. My computer is a 2012 iMac i5 with 8 gb RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GT 640M (GK107M); run with a second monitor (Dell) plugged into my thunderbolt/minidisplay port. I use the Nvidia (361.42) driver on my system.

The crashes seem to occur with different programs running, although I have recently noted that they often occur when I'm running LibreOffice Write in combination with something else. Two of the attached logs (kernlog and syslog from two crashes today) make reference to LibreOffice being out of memory. All of the attached logs make reference to "nouveau", which puzzles me since I'm not using the nouveau driver.

Note that I never experienced a freeze before when running Ubuntu 15.10, using exactly the same setup. Also, I don't experience these problems when running MacOSX (which I don't do much anymore). Finally, I think it may be some interaction with the dual monitor configuration because I have never experienced these freezes when I unplug the other monitor, and I have no freeze issues with Ubuntu 16.04 running a single monitor on either of my Mac minis or my Dell xps 13.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Main distros: Ubuntu 20.04 and Linux Mint 19.3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 freezes; dual monitor setup on iMac

Moved to Apple Hardware Users for a better fit.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.