Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System76 Oryx Pro / Clevo 650SE

Beans

System76 Oryx Pro / Clevo 650SE

Does anyone actually have this laptop? If so, how do you like it? What is battery life like? How about fan noise and heat generation?

Beans

Re: System76 Oryx Pro / Clevo 650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Kris_Matthews View Post
    Does anyone actually have this laptop? If so, how do you like it? What is battery life like? How about fan noise and heat generation?
    I have this laptop. Fan noise and heat generation is actually ok. The battery life is horrible. I would say max 2h (at least on mine). But on the other side it is a powerful gaming machine and not to confuse with a Macbook Air or a Lenovo X1.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, Markus_Iofcea. Seems like there's a remarkable lack of reputable reviews for this machine. Most of the reviews I've seen are just regurgitating the sales material - it's obvious the "reviewers" never actually touched the machine. :/ (Hint hint!)

(I ended up deciding against this this laptop based on .. well, I'll call it a lack of professionalism in a response to pre-sales questions.)

Beans

I can fully understand that. I am also surprised that there is no professional review of the laptop yet.

Beans

Is there any chance I can convince you to take a few pictures of the laptop? Maybe a video of it running a game? Pretty please with sugar on top?

I'm in a really annoying situation where I can't find a computer that doesn't **** me off. I've just gone through three separate Dell XPS 15s (the 2015 infinity display model) - all were defective in multiple ways, and Dells customer support has probably managed to take a few years off my life. I'm using a macbook pro at the moment, but not very happy with it - though admittedly the problems I'm experiencing are software based.

Beans

I have to concur withMarkus_Iofcea. Its great at running games. The heat isn't too crazy, just what you'd expect from a high-end laptop. I don't understand why there isn't a single real review of the Oryx yet. I have had it for about a week now, and I'm really loving it, but just don't think you're going to get 13 hours of battery on this thing. My battery runs about an two hours. If you're going to be gaming, make sure and plug in. It definitely is less battery than I would really like, but I sort of expected 2-4 hours going in. If I have time, I might take a video of it, and some pictures later tonight. It's a gorgeous machine. I have the 17 inch model, and it really is beautiful.

Beans

That would be great - I'm sure System76 would appreciate some actual reviews. (As would I!)

Beans

That would be great - I'm sure System76 would appreciate some actual reviews. (As would I!)
    Same here. I'm trying to decide between the XPS15 and the Oryx Pro.

To OP or anyone else that has the machine:
    How much of the body aluminum? I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that really flexy/bendy plastic laptop shells are tiresome. I'm hoping this machine is a strong departure from that.
    use linux

Beans

I would strongly urge avoiding the XPS 15 like the plague. I've had four of them now, all defective in various ways. In addition, Dells support is absolutely horrific.

Beans

I would strongly urge avoiding the XPS 15 like the plague. I've had four of them now, all defective in various ways. In addition, Dells support is absolutely horrific.
    That really sounds like a terrible time. However, I know some people that have gotten them and really like them. The Oryx Pro's battery life seems to be its biggest drawback. The XPS15 seems to be doing much, much better in that department according to user reviews on the net.
    use linux

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast