Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtualbox UEFI 16.04 Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtualbox UEFI 16.04 Issue

You have been so right from the beginning. Thank you!

Now, do you know a way to clean a disk that has GPT, UEFI, and EFI partition?
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have it booting, then I would leave it... but if you wanted to, you are still at the start of this, so less work and risk now, rather than later down the road.

You could always start over, fresh and clean. If it where me, I would leave the layout as EFI. That is what is current tech and is not really going away soon. It adds value to what you have and makes things easier.

On an EFI layout scheme on a GPT Disk... A GPT disk has two GPT partition tables (at beginning and end of the disk) ... then your partition layout should resemble:
    Code:
    1 sector unused space
    Partion1: boot_grub
    Partion2: EFI
    ... other partitions
    Or you if you wanted to convert your GPT EFI disk from UEFI boot to an MBR Legacy BIOS boot disk, you can do that with that same partition layout... and I could tell you how to make it bootable with a Legacy BIOS Boot...

But what do you think you need to clean up in your present install, besides VirtualBox?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I'll take your advise and leave things the way they, since all is working.

Again, again thank you!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have any question feel free to ask.

Do others a favor. When you get things working and sorted out, come back here and document what worked for you, and what the solution was for you (in your own words).

I can tell by your post count, that you have a lot to share in your experience with others. Documenting and sharing that with others will help others reading this later to solve their similar problems. Marking it solved when you are satisfied with your solution will help others to find that solution quickly.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I have successfully fixed the issue in my Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
    Check the package
    dpkg -l | grep -i virtualbox

Uninstall from system
    sudo apt-get remove unity-scope-virtualbox
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox-5.1

wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/..._vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Finally install it:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.1

This fixed the issue for me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad it all worked out. If you could please return ti this thread > Upper right of page link "Thread Tools" > Link "Mark Thread As Solved"... which will help others to find answers to their similar questions.

Edit-- Thanks. By the time I posted this, you were lready doing that. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12