Thread: Wireless card should be automatically recognized?

Beans

Wireless card should be automatically recognized?

Hi guys

When I install Ubuntu on my laptop, should my wireless card be automatically recognized and ready to work? or do I have to get additional drivers? from where?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Wireless card should be automatically recognized?

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.

See the wireless script link in my signature and post your results. For most cases nothing is needed for wireless to work but there are special cases

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can test this out by running the Try Ubuntu session. If the wireless adapter is recognized and a driver activated then you should be able to use Network Manager to see a list of wireless access points and even connect to them. We can even install a driver in a Try session but the driver will be lost once we shutdown the Try session. As will connection information.

The place to look for a driver if one is needed is System Settings>Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab. You will need to be connected to the internet otherwise the utility cannot find the additional drivers. Besides, it is much better to install Ubuntu with a wired connection. It lessens the risk of some kind of failure during the installation process.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    You can test this out by running the Try Ubuntu session. If the wireless adapter is recognized and a driver activated then you should be able to use Network Manager to see a list of wireless access points and even connect to them. We can even install a driver in a Try session but the driver will be lost once we shutdown the Try session. As will connection information.

The place to look for a driver if one is needed is System Settings>Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab. There is a page here that explains it and you can have a look at that. You will need to be connected to the internet otherwise the utility cannot find the additional drivers. Besides, it is much better to install Ubuntu with a wired connection. It lessens the risk of some kind of failure during the installation process.

Regards.
    Sorry, I am dumb, what is Try Ubuntu session? I don't know much about this stuff.
    Last edited by jenna33; July 16th, 2016 at 05:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sorry, I am dumb
    No, not dumb, just inexperienced.

When you first boot into Ubuntu from the installation media, usually a DVD or USB memory stick, you will be presented with a screen where you have the option to (1) 'try Ubuntu' without installing, or to (2) install Ubuntu on your system.

The wireless card should be recognized and the driver should be installed; however, depending on the manufacturer of your wireless card or chip, it may not be recognized which is why it is a good idea to try Ubuntu. Sometimes, newer wireless cards may not be recognized.

Even if you decide to install Ubuntu without your wireless card being recognized, you can always return to this forum seeking help.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome. Boot from install media, USB or disk, you will see a bunch of options, 'Try Ubuntu' 'Install Ubuntu', etc.

Choose 'Try Ubuntu'. That will get you to a desktop. There, you will either see a little window pop up saying 'Wireless networks available' or you won't. It might take a minute or two to pick things up.

If it doesn't pick up any wireless networks, then let us know and get back with the script output jeremy31 has requested. Thanks. (See the green link in my signature at the bottom of this post and put the output between code tags, please.)

(PS: Also, if it doesn't offer networks, click the network icon, don't worry, you'll see it when you're there, and see if there are any wireless networks listed there.)

(PPS: There are occasionally oddities. The wireless works in a 'live' session (running from install media) then not on a full install or vice versa. In that case, further digging is necessary sometimes, but see how you go this time before any of that. )
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 13th, 2016 at 06:26 AM.