Thread: I installed Netbeans 8.1. How do I install JavaFX and Scene Builder?

Beans

I installed Netbeans 8.1. How do I install JavaFX and Scene Builder?

I installed Netbeans via synaptic and it's version 8.1 but I noticed that I don't have JavaFX as an option for a new project. How do I install JavaFX and then I will want to install scene builder if it doesn't install with FX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I installed Netbeans 8.1. How do I install JavaFX and Scene Builder?

I recommend installing netbeans from the official site.
    https://netbeans.org/downloads/

Beans

Are you saying that will fix my problem or just saying I should install from there? I have already installed NetBeans and openjfx (or something) to try and get FX / sceme builder to show up in the IDE. Should I uninstall these first?

Beans
    Distro

I have never tried getting netbeans from apt repository, so I don't know what actually cause the issue. But I know for sure installing the package from the official site always works for me. I think you may want to try that

Beans

OK so I went to the link above to install NetBeans and it said I needed JDK 8. I went to these directions but all they say is how to unpack the tar.gz file but not to install java. How do I actually install Java?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs....html#BJFJJEFG

Beans
    Distro

You can get openjdk from the apt repository. I think openjdk is a pretty good implementation these days. Or if you prefer oracle, then you can download the package from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html

And if you open the link above, you can get the version of netbeans that is bundled with oracle jdk SE.
    Last edited by DaviesX; July 11th, 2016 at 04:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

OpenJDK is the open source reference implementation of all things Java, including Oracle Java. This is what Oracle has decreed. Oracle dedicates a lot of resources to the development of OpenJDK. "Open Source"? Maybe. But open source the way Oracle bends it.

That being the case, the choice between OpenJDK and Oracle Java is six of one or a half dozen of the other. The big difference is that many developers, unaware of the relationship between OpenJDK and Oracle Java, will check specifically for Oracle Java as a dependency. It won't matter that you have OpenJDK -- the reference implementation Oracle Java is based on -- their code will choke.

Personally, I just avoid any questions and install Oracle Java.

If you install Oracle Java following these instructions and then download and install a Netbeans package from here, you should be well on your way.

I'm not familiar with Scene Builder.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks all for the support and help. I have Oracle Java and Netbeans installed. My last challenge is getting scene builder installed but I'll work on that later so I'm marking this as solved. I basically installed Oracle Java from Oracle's site then installed Netbeans from them as well.