Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After removing Xubuntu 14.04, Windows 7 no longer boots, broken WUBI detected

Beans

Re: After removing Xubuntu 14.04, Windows 7 no longer boots, broken WUBI detected

Quote Originally Posted by marcinoo View Post
    Because the MBR commands I had try, don't work on GPT disks.
    Some MBR commands worked because the bootinfoscript found a boot loader in the MBR of your disks:

Code:
     => Windows 7/8/2012 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
    A boot loader in the MBR is not needed for UEFI mode. My bootinfoscript reports for a GPT disk:
    Code:
      => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
    It is possible to use GPT disks in legacy BIOS mode but it could be the reason for problems. e.g. Maybe your EFI firmware tries to boot with MBR boot loader in legacy BIOS mode if EFI mode fails.

2) It did not want to Uninstall
    The Wubi uninstaller didn't uninstall Xubuntu but it didn't change anything. So it could not break Xubuntu or Windows.
    3) So I removed Xubuntu folder manually.
    Since then it has been not possible to boot into Xubuntu or to boot into GRUB2 menu within Xubuntu.
    So you broke Xubuntu of course but IMHO you didn't break Windows.

Wubi don't remove the EFI menu entry for Windows during installation. It creates an additional entry.
    So it should always possible to run Windows from EFI menu. Has there never been an EFI menu entry for Windows since you installed Xubuntu with Wubi ?

Did you change the EFI menu entry for Windows since you installed Xubuntu with Wubi ?
    Maybe, you wanted to change the boot order.

As I wrote if uninstaller works it removes the additional entry which was created during installation. But if you uninstall it manually, it is also possible to use the additional entry for Windows by changing the path of the boot loader.
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {17a8052c-1f41-11e6-bd45-902b346f5367} path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    To clarify it is not still Xubuntu, you can also change the description of the entry:
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {17a8052c-1f41-11e6-bd45-902b346f5367} description "Windows"
    edit: As I wrote my answer I didn't read your last post.
    Last edited by hakuna_matata; July 9th, 2016 at 08:59 AM.

Beans

Re: After removing Xubuntu 14.04, Windows 7 no longer boots, broken WUBI detected

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
    Has there never been an EFI menu entry for Windows since you installed Xubuntu with Wubi ?
    I don't remeber exactly, but as far as I remember, there has never been EFI menu entry for Windows visible, no "Windows Boot Manager" nor anything in BIOS nor in BIOS boot menu, even before I installed Xubuntu, even if the entry (Windows Boot Manager) does psychically exist as seen in bcdedit, maybe it is hidden or disabled, I don't have a clue. An entry I always used to boot Windows 7 BIOS MBR was "PO Samsung 850 EVO 120GB". After I switched from Windows 7 BIOS MBR to Windows 7 UEFI GPT, it was "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB". After I encrypted my SDD with sedutil I had to select "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB" two times. The first time I select "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB", instead of booting Windows 7 it asks me for the password, I enter the password, and the computer reboots, after the computer reboots I select "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB" the second time and now Windows 7 boots normally. After I installed Xubuntu-WUBI the entry "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB" ceases to appear the second time (after the reboot), but I then select Xubuntu >> Windows Boot Loader and Windows 7 boots normally just like missing "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB". I thought it was WUBI who removed "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB" and moved it and renamed to Xubuntu >> Windows Boot Manager. After I removed Xubuntu folder, the Xubuntu boot entry completeely failed to load, and at the same time "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB" still was missing (the second time - after entering the SSD password and after rebooting). Thus I was completely unable to boot Windows 7, no Win7 entry. Adding custom Windows boot entries did not work too, as seen and I don't know why. As for the "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB", maybe it is the "Windows Boot Manager", maybe during boot, BIOS (motherboard) rename / redirect "Windows Boot Manager" to "UEFI Samsung 850 EVO 120GB" and thus the both entries are a single one just with different names, but as seen now under Windows 7 in
    they have diferrent EFI files:

Description:Windows Boot Manager
    GPT partition GUID:{1C0C4722-5359-49CD-A689-4392436E77D6}
    Partition number:1
    Partition starting sector:2048
    Partition ending sector:206847
    File path:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

Description:UEFI: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
    GPT partition GUID:{1C0C4722-5359-49CD-A689-4392436E77D6}
    Partition number:1
    Partition starting sector:2048
    Partition ending sector:206847
    File path:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
    And GPT partition GUID changed too.

My Win7 boots now, because "UEFI: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB" is back and appears now in boot menu the second time (after enterting the password and rebooting the computer). And there is no Windows Boot Manager visible in BIOS nor in BIOS Boot Menu.

My motherboard is:

Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4149#ov BIOS is the newest one - F9
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
    Did you change the EFI menu entry for Windows since you installed Xubuntu with Wubi ?
    Maybe, you wanted to change the boot order.
    Nope, I did not touch anything.
    Last edited by marcinoo; July 9th, 2016 at 10:47 AM.

Beans

Unfortunately, there are a lot of different EFI firmwares. There are comfortable EFI firmwares where you can edit your EFI boot menu. Other EFI firmwares are spartan and have some issues. It seems that you have the second one.
    IMHO it is a helpful tool but some years ago I had also an issue. I saw 2 entries for "Windows Boot Manager" and I removed one. But after reboot both entries were removed and Windows was unbootable. Probably, this issue is fixed in newer version of EasyUEFI but maybe it is not only an issue of EasyUEFI. It could be an issue of Windows or/and a buggy firmware, too.
    the Xubuntu boot entry completeely failed to load
    The GRUB2 loader was loaded but the GRUB2 menu was not found. But nevertheless, it would be possible to boot manually into Windows with GRUB2 commands. e.g. if your EFI partition is on first disk and first partition ('hd0,gpt1')
    Code:
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod fat
    set root='hd0,gpt1'
    chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Last edited by hakuna_matata; July 9th, 2016 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It looks like because you encrypted system, it does not use standard UEFI boot entry.

Have seen many Windows encrypted systems with BIOS and there was no way to restore a standard Windows boot loader, either the 'works like Windows boot loaders' Linux can add, or even the "official" Windows boot loader. Sometimes only a copy of MBR would work, if user had that. And some encrypted systems had there own MBR repair or recovery tools.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It looks like because you encrypted system, it does not use standard UEFI boot entry.
    Thank you, oldfred. IMHO, you have found the reason.

Here is an issue for sedutil that confirms the possibility of lost UEFI boot entries.

So we can say that the unbootable Windows 7 was not the blame of Wubi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123