Thread: Corrupted display during boot - GNOME Edition

Beans

Exclamation Corrupted display during boot - GNOME Edition

I'm having some trouble with Ubuntu. Kindly note that I am a newbie to Linux. This is my hardware setup:

MSI AM1 motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/AM1I.html#hero-overview
    Processor: AMD Sempron APU 2650 1.45 Ghz with Radeon R3 graphics
    RAM: Corsair 4 GB DDR3 (single stick)

I have installed Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 after a few tries. The issue I faced during installation and the one I face during boot is a corrupted display. I have to turn off / reset the system multiple times before it works. I have updated it fully after installation, and also installed a proprietary AMD driver that was under the Additional Drivers section.

I get the GRUB boot screen below:
    IMG_20160703_134659.jpg

After I select Ubuntu, I get this:
    IMG_20160703_134713.jpg

No amount of turning off / resetting helps. Just not able to go past the corrupt display!

Please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Corrupted display during boot - GNOME Edition

Hello and welcome to the forum, This looks like a driver issue to me this post might help you with this issue
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/46059...sktop-amd-7970
    Last edited by RobGoss; July 3rd, 2016 at 12:10 PM.

Beans

Thanks! I went through the link you gave. During the last session when it had successfully booted, I had checked in the Additional Drivers section, there was only 1 processor driver listed, which I installed.

I have tried the nomodeset option. It made no difference. Of course, it could also be due to me not having entered it correctly as I am not very familiar with Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guardianin View Post
    Thanks! I went through the link you gave. During the last session when it had successfully booted, I had checked in the Additional Drivers section, there was only 1 processor driver listed, which I installed.

I have tried the nomodeset option. It made no difference. Of course, it could also be due to me not having entered it correctly as I am not very familiar with Linux.

Is this a fresh installation of Ubuntu 16.04? Have you try installing Ubuntu again to see if this issue persist sometimes problems will work there way out on a second installation if it continues maybe we can figure out why and try and get it corrected.

Are you able to boot to your desktop?
    Last edited by RobGoss; July 3rd, 2016 at 12:31 PM.

Beans

Yes, completely fresh installation. I was able to boot once in the morning. Just can't boot now, same screen every time. I've also tried to go into the Live environments of Fedora and Mint, same issue. Shows me that corrupted screen straight after selecting any option with any distro.

I've also tried the nomodeset option, no luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Off hand do you know what internal graphic card chip your machine is using it may not be compatible with Ubuntu
    Last edited by RobGoss; July 3rd, 2016 at 07:21 PM.