Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just signed up for new team? Does it affect my current standings?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Just signed up for new team? Does it affect my current standings?

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yes, it worked for me

By the way, which is 'your wiki'?
    It's in the first post of the green link in my signature. I figured it'd be better to have it there.

Here's the direct link: Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ranch Hand gave me all the tips and his knowledge rubbed off on me, I just put it into a How to and that evolved into a wiki. Drs305 also was a big help.

I installed Xubuntu on another partition a while back and when it did an update-grub it took 3-4 minutes to complete. Mine takes less than 2 seconds to complete.
    So, if you dual boot or multi-boot I can not see any reason NOT to use this.

Also, Grub2 only sees the first 4 partitons and after that it gets everything wrong. You think you are booting into the 5th partition, etc. but you are really booting into a messed up 1st Linux partition.
    You will not be able to boot into it like it looks like. I've had as many as 7-8 operating systems on this 6 year old box and with the custom menu, it worked every time without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Most definitely. At the moment you're shown as a proposed member. Once you're approved you'll get an email confirming your membership. Make sure you log out of the wiki, log-in again making sure the relevant box relating to the wiki editor's group is ticked and then you be able to edit.
    Thanks for the info. I had a hard time before and had to sign up for the Ubuntu Etherpad instance team.
    I found out I had to logout and back in for it to work.

So, I'll be sure and log out and back in this time too.
    Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, it worked for me

By the way, which is 'your wiki'?
    It's in the first post of the green link in my signature. I figured it'd be better to have it there.

Here's the direct link: Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ranch Hand gave me all the tips and his knowledge rubbed off on me, I just put it into a How to and that evolved into a wiki. Drs305 also was a big help.

I installed Xubuntu on another partition a while back and when it did an update-grub it took 3-4 minutes to complete. Mine takes less than 2 seconds to complete.
    So, if you dual boot or multi-boot I can not see any reason NOT to use this.

Also, Grub2 only sees the first 4 partitons and after that it gets everything wrong. You think you are booting into the 5th partition, etc. but you are really booting into a messed up 1st Linux partition.
    You will not be able to boot into it like it looks like. I've had as many as 7-8 operating systems on this 6 year old box and with the custom menu, it worked every time without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Most definitely. At the moment you're shown as a proposed member. Once you're approved you'll get an email confirming your membership. Make sure you log out of the wiki, log-in again making sure the relevant box relating to the wiki editor's group is ticked and then you be able to edit.
    Thanks for the info. I had a hard time before and had to sign up for the Ubuntu Etherpad instance team.
    I found out I had to logout and back in for it to work.

So, I'll be sure and log out and back in this time too.
    Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the link, Cavsfan

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post

I just followed your link here. I haven't used this but want to in the future. Thank you.

Suggestion, if you hadn't thought of it. I noticed you use gksudo (text editor, gedit). Do plan to include an addendum for using 'pkexec' for newer OS's?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for the link, Cavsfan
    You are most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post

I just followed your link here. I haven't used this but want to in the future. Thank you.

Suggestion, if you hadn't thought of it. I noticed you use gksudo (text editor, gedit). Do plan to include an addendum for using 'pkexec' for newer OS's?
    That is one reason I wanted to edit it. I've found a few things that I want to add to the wiki.
    I have been using nano myself. For longer text that would need to be copied I would suggest entering it as a text file, copying it and then pasting it into the nano session with Cntl+Shift+V.
    Nano is about as simple as it gets and it is on every Linux system. sudo nano file-name and that's it. There is no warnings or anything in the terminal.

I've used pkexec a few times but at that time it gave me the same warnings that gksudo text-editor file-name did.

But, everything is always open for debate and/or use.

I hope you benefit as much as I have from the custom grub. It only boots in the most recent kernel but, I've never seen the need to boot into an older kernel myself.
    It even works on Arch Linux. I haven't tried every Linux system there is but, I've yet to find one that I couldn't customize the grub on.

The most important reason that the custom grub screen is so good is that you can select a default OS easily. Plus once you set it up you never have to change anything.
    Unless you remove or add an OS to the system. I believe there is another way but this seems to work well. Mostly I'll get bored with the picture and change that.

I'll post a screen shot of my current grub screen. I only have Arch, 2 Xubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04 LTS systems and Windows 10 on it right now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here's a post on the thread that has the wiki on the first post. You'd post questions or problems here.

But, the latest screenshot is on it. Not sure why my phone camera is putting lines on the pictures; probably just some adjustment I reckon.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....8#post13522478

On Arch you can only have 2 colors: 1 for the box and normal lines and 1 for the highlighted line.

But, on Ubuntu you have a 3rd color that would be the white you see above the box and below it.

Edit: If an admin wants to delete one of the duplicate posts at the top that'd be good. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I got accepted to the group ubuntu-wiki-editors yesterday.

I was able to easily update the community wiki.

Thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12