Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple harddisks

Beans

Angry Multiple harddisks

Hello!

I'm trying to install some new disks into my system.
    Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS.

I get some problems doing it! And i can't figure it out why..
    Disks already installed:
    1 SSD - 120GB
    1 HDD - 2TB
    1 HDD - 3TB
    2 HDD - 3TB (trying to install - Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB 7200RPM)

System:
    INTEL Core i7-5820K 3,3GHz LGA2011 15MB
    ASRock X99M Extreme 4, Socket-2011-3
    Cooler Master V 750W

When i need a new disk i get this message:
    Welcome to emergency mode!
    VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem.
    When i use the command lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE it seems like that new disk takes one of the already installed disks name, and crashes?
    So now my 3TB disk, only shows as 700-800GB when i try to format it in windows, to start from scratch.

Please tell me that there is someone out there that have been true the same, and have a quick and easy solution!
    Thanks alot for your time!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Multiple harddisks

Are you installing in UEFI mode?
    Windows only installs to gpt partitioned drives with UEFI and with 3TB drives you must use UEFI. MBR has a max of 2TiB.

What SATA port order are you installing drives? Best to have main boot drive in SATA0 and use ports in order. I had skipped a port and had issues with flash drive that was sde when plugged in and sdb on reboot. Similar issue with newer UEFI system where I had DVD inbetween the two hard drives.

Post this:
    sudo parted -l
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Are you installing in UEFI mode?
    Windows only installs to gpt partitioned drives with UEFI and with 3TB drives you must use UEFI. MBR has a max of 2TiB.

What SATA port order are you installing drives? Best to have main boot drive in SATA0 and use ports in order. I had skipped a port and had issues with flash drive that was sde when plugged in and sdb on reboot. Similar issue with newer UEFI system where I had DVD inbetween the two hard drives.

Post this:
    sudo parted -l
    Thanks for that quick reply. I even tryed to install ubuntu on that 3TB drive just to be sure everything was correct, and when i started ubuntu it showed as a 2,7TB, then i installed it into windows again and used Minitool Partition to just clear the disk and make it ext3, it still showed as 700-800GB. - and i made sure it was GPT.

Do you want me to put the disks inside my server, and then do parted -l ? Anyway here is without the new disk installed: http://pastebin.com/mCL703gc
    SSD disk(OS) is in sata 0 i think, worstcase sata 1.

I have tryed to use different sata ports on my motherboard, the same problem occurs.
    When i remove the new disks and just leave the once i had installed (120GB, 2TB, 3TB) everyone starts as normal.

Tried both the disks, same problem. Hope you got some ideas to what i can try next

The disks installed, that works i used this guide to install:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...gANewHardDrive (command line).
    Last edited by howefield; July 2nd, 2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You show drives as 'loop'. That usually is formatting the drive, not the partition. And you show ext3, not ext4 which have been default for Ubuntu for years. Only 6 or 7 years ago was it suggested to stay with ext3 until ext4 issues were resolved.
    Only in some special cases may you have a drive formatted, you need to partition drives. LVM is normally inside a partition, so that should not be the issue, but do not know all the details of LVM.

In BIOS mode you can use Something Else install option and choose which drive to install grub into. That should be same drive as Ubuntu install.
    With UEFI grub only installs to ESP - efi system partition on whatever drive is seen as sda. And you must have the ESP on sda.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

You show drives as 'loop'. That usually is formatting the drive, not the partition. And you show ext3, not ext4 which have been default for Ubuntu for years. Only 6 or 7 years ago was it suggested to stay with ext3 until ext4 issues were resolved.
    Only in some special cases may you have a drive formatted, you need to partition drives. LVM is normally inside a partition, so that should not be the issue, but do not know all the details of LVM.

In BIOS mode you can use Something Else install option and choose which drive to install grub into. That should be same drive as Ubuntu install.
    With UEFI grub only installs to ESP - efi system partition on whatever drive is seen as sda. And you must have the ESP on sda.
    Thanks! But i'm not sure i understand what to do to solve my problem. Is there a guide or something that i can follow to fix this?
    Or do i need to uninstall everything and start from scratch? - Why did Ubuntu Server install ext4 as default, if it's not recommended?

Beans

Thread moved to the "Server Platforms" forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would re-install drives and make sure SSD is in first port SATA0 so it is seen as sda in Ubuntu and hd0 in grub & UEFI.
    I would then reinstall in UEFI boot mode. If you want LVM that is fine, I just have never used it and do not know details.

Your ext3 with loop mount are your other 3TB drives, not the Ubuntu install SSD drive. Since you ran Boot-Repair you must also have live installer with gparted. So I would use that or download the latest version of gparted ISO and use that to format other drives.

How are you planning to configure drives, one large LVM, RAID, or just use drives as separate drives? I do not know server configurations, just use of multiple drives.

Beans

I would re-install drives and make sure SSD is in first port SATA0 so it is seen as sda in Ubuntu and hd0 in grub & UEFI.
    I would then reinstall in UEFI boot mode. If you want LVM that is fine, I just have never used it and do not know details.

Your ext3 with loop mount are your other 3TB drives, not the Ubuntu install SSD drive. Since you ran Boot-Repair you must also have live installer with gparted. So I would use that or download the latest version of gparted ISO and use that to format other drives.

How are you planning to configure drives, one large LVM, RAID, or just use drives as separate drives? I do not know server configurations, just use of multiple drives.
    Thanks for your quick replys.

This is a plex server so i'm not sure what is best, but i'm not gonna use RAID. Was just thinking separate disks to store files on.
    SSD - OS and Plex Media Server
    HDD - All files, none RAID.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Now that drives are huge, I typically do not like one very large partition. More difficult to backup and repair when issues. But is a media server probably better to have a large partition.
    But you need to partition as gpt and then create one large partition.

GPT Advantages (older but still valid) see post#2 by srs5694:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1457901
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...antages_of_GPT

All my drives are smaller, but I use gpt. With large drive gpt should be default.
    I used gparted and selected gpt under device, advanced & select gpt over msdos(MBR) default partitioning....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

As oldfred already mentioned, the large disks show as loop table, not gpt. And you are confusing me by mentioning windows and minitool partition and creating ext3 from windows, etc, etc... Forget that and DO NOT try to use windows for creating linux partitions. I wouldn't trust it, although there are good third party tools I guess... But why, when you have everything you need inside ubuntu. Imagine the partition is not created good because it was done in windows and errors start showing up after you have 5TB of data on your server...

So, lets go back to basics... The loop table will need to be removed... Do you already have data on the big disks???
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast