Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debian 8 jessie doesnt connect to wifi

Beans

Debian 8 jessie doesnt connect to wifi

Hello guys, im testing some debian distros and i picked the lexd x64 installed on my hp 14. The problem is wifi doesnt seem to work, i get the lan working installing a non-free package from here but that just fixed lan, wifi still is not working. And a laptop without wifi isnt a laptop... jaja. Hope you guys give me a hand with this.
    So, i forgot, this is the firmware aparently misses: rtl8106e-1.fw
    Thank you!

Beans

Re: Debian 8 jessie doesnt connect to wifi

lexd x64 ?
    Last edited by arochester; June 30th, 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Beans

Yeah, amd64 actually. Dont know if theres a difference. Downloaded from here lexd desktop.

Beans

I think you may have downloaded the wrong version.

You have downloaded a version with NO "non-free", therefore you don't have the wireless firmware built in. If you are using it as a Live-CD you can download the firmware, but the wifi will only work on reboot ---and then you have lost the firmware!

You need a download from here: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/un...64/iso-hybrid/

Beans

Ops... im really not familiar with debian... jaja, but well, linux is always a challenge. Going to download that distro and im telling you guys how it goes. Can i download the same distro? I mean lexd or you can recommend me some other taste. Im using it for doing some vnc and dns projects.
    Thx a lot!

Beans

Download the lxde version from the link I gave - debian-live-8.5.0-amd64-lxde-desktop+nonfree.iso

Beans

Great, now wifi and lan works smooth. Thx a lot, with previous distro (free i guess) i cant install any package, always getting error about non existing package or something like that. This have relation with non-free distro?
    Once again, thx a lot!

Beans

I'm not sure what you mean.

With a LiveCD everything is in the CD. When the LiveCD is running you can download an application, but it will not be placed (magically) on the CD. When you switch off the download will be lost. You will go back to just having what is on the LiveCD.***

There are other ways to try Linux without messing up your existing OS.

A.
    You can use a USB Flash Drive (if your computer will boot from USB)
    1) The "normal" install just puts the same LiveCD on a USB Flash Drive
    2) The "persistent" install. This is where you put another partition on the USB - like having a "Home" on the stick, where you can save SOME stuff.
    3 The "full-install" where you just install the whole OS on the stick. Depending on the size of the stick it should save all changes.

B.
    Dual Booting. This is where you install TWO OSs on you hard drive and you can choose which one to use.

C.
    Virtualisation. This is where you create a "virtual machine" inside your existing OS, where you can fully run the new OS.

*** One exception to the LiveCD not saving, is "Puppy Linux" which will save changes to the Hard Drive as a file with the extension . sfs ---Puppy Linux is an acquired taste.

Beans

No, i installed previous lexd on my laptop, installed that non-free package. With that lan works but not wifi, with lan working in terminal cant find any package nor install, for example i wanted to install tightvncserver but aptitude gives me an error, cant find the package. Im talking of first debian distro i installed.
    But now works great, now i can do some experiments with vnc.
    Oh, another thing, doing some vnc with a raspberry pi (raspbian) i can see the desktop with a cellphone (remote ripple) but with debian i cant, just with vnc viewer

Beans

Because of ethics and laws, Debian does not distribute proprietary firmware with the kernel. I'm glad you have your wi-fi working.

Just for future reference, you can download a special boot image for installing Debian that includes some of the firmware if you need it for installs. Your hardware is Realtek, so installing the "firmware-realtek" package should help.

Best of luck to you!
    T.J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast