Thread: Strange graphics problem on Lenovo G50-80

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Exclamation Strange graphics problem on Lenovo G50-80

Sometimes the following graphics glitch is triggered where the screen starts moving/rotating rapidly: https://i.imgur.com/u6j5auo.gif (gedit on LXDE).
    This is triggered semi-randomly while using specific apps like Kate, gEdit, gVim, leafpad, embedded console inside Dolphin, KDevelop and rarely with Konsole.
    Also triggered for a few split-seconds when I move the mouse when in fullscreen mode in VLC but stabilises quickly. However, everything is stable when I just use Chrome or Firefox, LXTerminal, Clementine and Code::Blocks, even for hours.

Whenever this is triggered, it can mostly be fixed when I switch to desktop or Chrome or a different app while closing the trigger-er app. Sometimes (rarely) the screen becomes completely black after a while, with key-presses and mouse movements revealing the screen for split-seconds which allows me to properly shutdown/restart the laptop.
    I've tried to Google the problem with no results, I'm not even sure what to search for.

Some more details:
    Current DE: KDE 5.5.5 installed with kubuntu-desktop package (with no install recommends to save bandwidth). This problem also occurred with LXDE (thus openbox), so nothing to do with the DE.
    Laptop: Lenovo G50-80 with integrated graphics chip (Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics)

Please tell me what more information I can provide.

I don't have Windows either to test the graphics stability there.
    This is extremely inconvenient deterring me from using specific apps, I'd really like this solved.
    Last edited by amhndu; June 27th, 2016 at 05:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Strange graphics problem on Lenovo G50-80

Bump. (Sorry, it's been 10 hours, had to do this)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Update: I did an apt upgrade which included kernel updates, graphics seem more stable, however when the glitch is triggered is becomes impossible to clear it without a reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Installing 'xserver-xorg-video-intel' fixes the problem.