Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xen crashes entire server when creating a virtual machine

Beans

Re: Xen crashes entire server when creating a virtual machine

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Okay, well... Just got an email that my heat sink for the second cpu in my second server got held up in customs and shouldn't be here until the 28th. Since that got held up, I'll push the first server online, to pull that older server with the Tyan board down to config like you have yours.

As a test, I'm thinking I should install and test on kernel 4.4.0-28, before upgrading to 4.4.0-31... Reason? I was thinking about you today = I tried installing Xen directly onto that new server, while it was at 4.4.0-31 ... and it crashed so bad it would not boot. I ended up reinstalling a fresh install onto it!!!
    Btw, have you yet had time to try it on the Tyan board? Though Xen crashing that bad on 4.4.0-31 doesn't sound particularly good..

Beans

So, any news about this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not yet. My non-Vt-x Xen Experiments have been podtponed for about another week or so.. sorry about not keeping you posted on that... My board like yours is still plugging a hole in my fabric until then. I should be back home to take care of that soon.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

And just to let you know, I had yesterday an uncorrectable ECC error. When I turned ECC off and started memtest, I got a bunch of errors.. then I looked at the board and I saw some swollen capacitors..

I don't get why it has been working fine without Xen until this point, all I have got has been occasionally some corrected ECC errors, but with Xen it imploded totally and almost instantly. Anyways, I'll change the caps, and see if that fixes the memory errors. If it doesn't, I'll have to move to a new board.

Beans

After changing the caps and switching memory modules the ECC errors vanished, but Xen still crashes. So, it apparently wasn't about that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael_Niemel View Post
    Btw, have you yet had time to try it on the Tyan board? Though Xen crashing that bad on 4.4.0-31 doesn't sound particularly good..
    Sorry to poke you again, but what's the status? I understand that it's probably a legacy feature, and I can use Virtualbox if Xen doesn't work, even if I'd prefer to use Xen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sent you a PM early this AM. Got back from holiday late last night. In the process of pulling my Tyan offline right now and another server back online in it's place.

Once that is done, will get details from you to mirror what you have as a configuration.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Any news yet?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123