Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 - Suspend/Hibernate - will not wake up!

Beans

Ubuntu 16.04 - Suspend/Hibernate - will not wake up!

I have recently installed version 16.04 (was previously on 14.04). I am running on an HP desktop AMD64 (Athlon X2). My machine goes into what I assume to be suspend or hibernate mode if away from the keyboard for a few mins (not sure how long - maybe 10). The problem is, I am unable to wake it up. The power light is still on (which maybe means it is in suspend as opposed to hibernate). The only solution I have at the moment is to power down the machine and reboot. This is silly - I can't keep restarting my pc this way everytime I come back to it after a few mins. I have scoured the internet looking for possible solutions and have heard that others are having some issues but maybe mainly with laptops. The one suggestion I did find was to upgrade the kernel (which sounded promising). I upgraded to 4.4.8-040408-generic, however, this did not solve the problem.

What options do I have - can I somehow turn off the suspend from happening? What about a fix from Ubuntu? Any additional advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 - Suspend/Hibernate - will not wake up!

Have a look at the settings in your power manager.

I'm not clear which desktop environment you're using, but I assume that similar settings will be available as in Xubuntu, which I use. I have suspend set to Never but I allow the screen to turn off after a set period of time.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Within System Settings -> Power it is set to "Don't Suspend". So not sure what the problem is. I also just upgraded the kernel again to 4.5. But still no resolution.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is also an app called caffeine https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/caffeine < which will stop the display from blanking> (Going Black)

and also a few terminal commands to use for example
    Code:
    xset s 0 0
    Or
    Code:
    xset s off
    Or disable energy star settings
    Code:
    xset -dpms
    one of those should work.

Beans

xset -dpms seems to have worked. so my monitor stays on even after gone for a while. will probably just physically turn the monitor on/off now I guess.

Beans

Again the xset -dpms worked. However, I believe if/when i reboot my machine I return to the old problem (because it has returned). is there a way to have this setting stick permanently? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just add that to your start-up Applications in Settings.

Beans

After several researches (edit /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/ ... or edit /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/ ...), I can hibernate my Inspiron 531 AMD64, creating a Desktop Entry file as follows:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding = UTF-8
    Version = 1.0
    Type = Application
    Terminal = true
    Icon [en_US] = gnome-panel-launcher
    Exec = sudo pm-hibernate
    Name = Hibernate
    Last edited by gadaletas; October 24th, 2016 at 06:54 PM.