Thread: Samsung 850 EVO SSD stil considered Bad For Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Samsung 850 EVO SSD stil considered Bad For Linux?

Hi,

I've read many articles about the cruddy firmware on these drives and how lack of queued TRIM impacts performance, but they're (relatively) old.

So, are Samsung SSDs still on the no-buy list, or have things improved since then?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Samsung 850 EVO SSD stil considered Bad For Linux?

I plopped one in my laptop about a year ago and it's ticking along just fine so I would heartily recommend one.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 20th, 2016 at 10:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have an older 128GB Samsung SSD 840, but run my own trim script as was suggested before Ubuntu added its own automatic trim. I turn off Ubuntu's weekly and just use the daily one I created.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enabl...te-drives.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I haven't looked lately, but I know queued trim instructions needed to be blacklisted by the kernel for 850s. I don't know if the kernel developers were contrite enough to apologize in public when it was found that the kernel and not Samsung was at fault. Samsung forwarded a patch. Don't know if it was applied. Don't care much at this point since both my 840 and my 850 work just fine in 16.04.
    Last edited by QIII; June 20th, 2016 at 11:36 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I have an EVO 850. Got a great price in Black Friday sale last year. I think the trim runs once a week? I never worry about it and it seems as fast as ever. Very pleased. Don't know what "queued trim" means, however.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I did not know queued trim either:

See short comings:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have the 850 500 gig. I have windows 10 on one partition and am running 16.04 on the other. I use 16.04 for almost everything except a CNC design app which only runs on 10, and a couple of other things. I replaced an Intel 250 gig SSD. I've had same problem with both.

If i bounce around a lot among folders, pretty soon the access times get quite long. the cure is a reboot. lately the Samsung takes about 5 minutes to load the desktop. i can get at applications like Chrome almost immediately but not the files using the desktop. I can open a terminal and get at them. I created an additional user and desktop (metacity in both cases) works fine.

I never had this problem with hard disks. I'm looking at maybe over provisioning. maybe that will make the problem go away.

I have complete system backed up to a hard drive.

really strange, though.

john

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I have an older 128GB Samsung SSD 840, but run my own trim script as was suggested before Ubuntu added its own automatic trim. I turn off Ubuntu's weekly and just use the daily one I created.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enabl...te-drives.html
    Thanks @oldfred for that link!!!! I had never trimmed the Ubuntu partition so did a
    sudo fstrim -v /
    and will do that once every 6 months or so.

For others:
    I have used SSDs for a long time on my machines - always Samsung, EVO when they came out. I had trimmed every year or so on the windows partitions.
    - ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 512GB M.2 . Mint 21, Ubuntu 22.04.1, win. -