Thread: OEM License and Retail License Advice

Beans

OEM License and Retail License Advice

So, I started gathering the components for a new PC that I am going to build. My plan is to transfer my Windows 7 Retail version to the new machine, once I build it (Windows 7 Retail version is currently installed on my current machine). Then, after cleaning up the old (current) machine, install the OEM version of Windows 7 in that. I plan to gift the old machine to my brother.

Does anyone see any problems with my plan, as it involves using an existing Retail version license (currently installed in my old PC) in a new PC that I will build, and then installing a new OEM version of Win7 in an old PC that I will give away?

Beans

Re: OEM License and Retail License Advice

Doesn't sound like an issue to me.

The retail version can be installed in another machine no problem, first format the old machine and then install in new machine, you will most likely have to jump through some hoops to activate it, but it shouldn't be a problem.

The OEM copy is tied to the first machine it is installed on, so being a brand new copy you should be ok.

That is just as I understand it, you'd probably be better of searching the microsoft site, there are a ton of similar questions answered from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Beans

A windows system is licensed to be used on a single computer. You should be OK with this but you will probably need to contact microsoft to get permission to change the windows system to another computer or be in violation of the licensing agreement. You should be able to read the license as it is on any install. To access it, click the start icon and in the search box type: license.rtf

Beans

Thank you both for your replies and advice. Why didn't I think to look it up on Microsoft's website? Maybe it never occurred to me because I don't trust them. There might be convoluted step-by-step instructions on how to transfer the retail from an old machine to a new one somewhere in their site. Thanks for showing me how to look up the license, too.

Beans

Take a look at the instructions at the windows 7 forum below to start. Scroll down the page to Method Two which I think is what you want:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-computer.html