Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GNU Hurd Talk

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Hurd?

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    "In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd people."
    -Linus Torvalds
    Linus Torvalds, one of the great communicators of the 21th century.

You shouldn't listen to much to him on these matters, Linus is known to be against microkernels for his own reasons. It doesn't make him the keeper of the ultimate truth.

HURD does rather well considering that they have maybe 5 active developers at any given time and have been forced to switch the underlying microkernel a number of times to reach what they deem a good system.

However HURD might be irrelevant as a Linux replacement the next decade because it's simply not supported by as many people as Linux is, nor developed for that matter.

If you want an off the shelf Open Source OS to replace Linux, OpenSolaris and the BSDs are quite acceptable choices today. HURD might take a little longer to get to the same level, but I have no doubt that it will eventually get there.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

The HURD project is pretty much dead. It is quite possibly the victim of what Torvalds said about microkernel OS's. The messaging system between the kernel and it's parts is way too complex to be useful and too bug prone. Microkernels work well in real time and embedded OS's where there is a limited number of devices to interact with and hardware is largely uniform. In a PC environment there is way too much stuff to pass around. Microkernel OS's also tend to be harder to develop.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

I burned the iso image of Debian Hurd K11, I couldn't get it to run but it may have been errors on my part. I have also been unsuccessful to get SUSE, Fedora, Scientific Linux and Mepis to run. So this isn't exactly an exclusive negative against the Hurd.

The default partitioning tool in the Hurd install is easier and more superior then any I have used.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

But do they have any logs, feeds, whatever so u can follow the developement anyway?
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd has a bit about it and what have you incase anyone wants to know anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    I think that ms's future will be a drunken and down-on-his-luck Steve Balmer on a beach somewhere in South America or the far east, trying to convince bored american tourists that he used to be important.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I do like the indirect recursive acronym of HURD (where HURD stands for HIRD of Unix-Replacing Daemons, and HIRD stands for HURD of Interfaces Representing Depth) but I think the complexity of trying to actually remember all that speaks for the whole system. It'd be nice if some sort of stable version emerged some day, but it's classic vapourware at the moment. Sounds great, but when can we actually use it?

Beans

Red face GNU Hurd Talk

currently installing GNU Hurd, I was wondering if any of my fellow Ubuntu users have had experience with the Hurd? Specifically: Debian K11 GNU Hurd.

Rich, have you tried it?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: GNU Hurd Talk

I messed around with installing it a while back, but the documentation is kinda sparse and scattered around the internet, and different guides conflict with each other quite a bit. Considering all of this, and the fact that the OS is so unfinished that wireless networking (a must for my laptop) is not yet finished, my attention span wore thin after the 2nd attempt to get it to boot.

It's a cool idea, and I'm all about supporting Gnu, but it's not ready for my needs yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi View Post
    I messed around with installing it a while back, but the documentation is kinda sparse and scattered around the internet, and different guides conflict with each other quite a bit. Considering all of this, and the fact that the OS is so unfinished that wireless networking (a must for my laptop) is not yet finished, my attention span wore thin after the 2nd attempt to get it to boot.

It's a cool idea, and I'm all about supporting Gnu, but it's not ready for my needs yet.
    I haven't done enough drugs to appreciate GNU Hurd.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've had it up and running once. It's a pain. Really not worth the trouble honestly. I hope it gets better, but the Linux, Solaris, and BSD kernels are already enough to suffice for me.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast