Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encrypt disk without formatting? Something similar to BitLocker?

Beans

Re: Encrypt disk without formatting? Something similar to BitLocker?

I don't see there is a reason to answer those cynical questions.

Apparently it is possible to simply create an encFS or ecryptFS managed folder and move everything into that without requiring more space. I think that was the gist of your answer. However the OP indicated not understanding that, but no one responded with clarification. Depending of course on how big the files are and how much space is available.

So maybe I was mistaken about my rad response above, however no one elucidated why encFS or ecryptFS would work.

Personally I would choose death over using eCryptFS, but that is beside the question here.

In general answering questions by providing more questions (more stuff to research) is not a very helpful thing to do. And of course, yes, you can create a filesystem directly on LUKS, I'm sorry.

But providing a link to someone does not answer the "why" (something would work).

And you also know TrueCrypt is only said to be "unsafe" in case further attacks against known and used ciphers, are revealed. But I guess, this is something the VeraCrypt developers have taken on.......

But also beside the point. In any case, the OP asked whether there was something similar to BitLocker, and no one answered, but the answer is simply no.

You must start with the question, not with what you want the answer to be. The question is in the title to this thread. The answer is a very simple "no". I don't see any of you mentioning that "no" anywhere. Hence, you did not answer the question.

If I ask you how much liters of water go into a can, and you answer "5 kilograms" then that is not an answer, even though it might be slightly correct.

Learn how to answer questions please. It would save everyone a lot of time. The simple answer is that, no, this thing does not exist, but encFS or ecryptFS may be able to move individual files from "nonencrypted" to "encrypted", hence not requiring much space.

So basically

"The encfs method need to copy/paste all the data from the unit to the encrypted folder. I not want to move data, only encrypt, because there is a lot of data and copying/pastings will take a lot of time..."

Was incorrect, but no one told him that.? Moving data in this sense IS encrypting it.

It just happens file by file, hence requiring little space, and I guess that was the answer??? It's not like "encrypting on the spot" will be any faster than moving it into an eCryptFS folder.
    Last edited by xen3; June 17th, 2016 at 06:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12