Thread: Switching video cards a problem? Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Switching video cards a problem? Ubuntu 14.04

Hello there,

I have a Ubuntu rig running 14.04, and a while back I switched from a Geforce 750 to a 970, and it wrecked the OS. I had to reformat and reinstall.

Now I want to switch the 970 for a AMD 7870, and was worried that I would destroy the OS again. Can anyone verify whether it's safe to switch cards? If so, what do I need to do in term of drivers?

Sorry, I am VERY new to Linux in general, and have little to no experience working in terminals.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Switching video cards a problem? Ubuntu 14.04

You likely did not wreck your OS before. You most likely simply needed to uninstall the driver and reinstall it after replacing the cards.

Similarly, this time you need to remove the NVIDIA driver, switch the cards and then install the fglrx (AMD) driver -- or just use the default open source Radeon driver.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    You likely did not wreck your OS before. You most likely simply needed to uninstall the driver and reinstall it after replacing the cards.

Similarly, this time you need to remove the NVIDIA driver, switch the cards and then install the fglrx (AMD) driver -- or just use the default open source Radeon driver.
    Thank you for the reply.

I had our IT guy at work look at the OS before, who is familiar with linux, and after days of trying he was unable to fix it. Thus you are right, I may not have.

However, I wasn't able to do it with my skill level.

In terms of the advice you gave me, thank yoU! Should I just google "how to uninstall nvidia drivers in ubuntu 14.04" and the same for install of AMD? Sorry, I really am new to all this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

danny64; Hello;

To remove the Nvidia driver:
    Code:
    sudo apt purge nvidia*
    sudo rm /etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Install the ATI card .. and boot up .. You will boot up with the open source driver. Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised. AMD and our developers have done a LOT of work on the open source driver .

Else; in "Additional Drivers" one can choose to install the FGLRX (proprietary) driver.

my bit to try and help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    danny64; Hello;

To remove the Nvidia driver:
    Code:
    sudo apt purge nvidia*
    sudo rm /etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Install the ATI card .. and boot up .. You will boot up with the open source driver. Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised. AMD and our developers have done a LOT of work on the open source driver .

Else; in "Additional Drivers" one can choose to install the FGLRX (proprietary) driver.
    my bit to try and help
    Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the command "sudo rm /etc/X11/Xorg.conf" did not work. However I used the first command, installed the AMD GPU and booted up.

The 'open source' drivers that automatically were used did not work. It wouldn't allow me to change ANY display settings at all, and I had two displays so I needed this. Also, the computer has a 27" monitor, and it was in really small resolution. Thus I had to download the FGLRX propriety driver, and it works perfect so far.

Hope this info helps further Ubuntu! If you want me to get any error codes for you let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

danny64; Hey ...

The use of the config file /etc/X11/Xorg.conf has been depreciated, so I am not surprised that the file did not exist on your system. It does have it uses and will be used IF it does exist .

Well as :
    Thus I had to download the FGLRX propriety driver, and it works perfect so far.
    We can conclude that this matter is concluded, I will leave it to QIII for closing remarks to the matter of substandard performance with the opensource driver; as he has the greater experience.

Please mark this thread solved;
    aides others seeking the solution,
    helps keep the forum clean and
    precludes others miss-directing efforts to aid.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

we are all in this together
    and together we can
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !