Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP Gen 8 G1610T - Cannot install Ubuntu and boot. Really Frustrating

Beans

Re: HP Gen 8 G1610T - Cannot install Ubuntu and boot. Really Frustrating

Thanks Oldfred. What I am doing is:
    Reboot - Done
    Delete partitions sda and sdg
    Using Gparted - make sdg a gpt drive. I tried to use GParted to repartition sdg into grub_bios, main and swap partitions but I ran into a problem. using GParted to create a grub_bios partition created a 1MB partition in front of the grub_bios partition i.e. sdg2 (grub_bios) 5MB resulted in sdg2 and sdg6 where both are grub_bios but sdg2 is 1 MB less than before I started and that 1 MB is used to create sdg6 (say) so I will try and use the ubuntu partition manager this time.
    Which means - I will use GParted to make sdg a GPT drive but use Ubuntu partition manager to create the other partitions.
    install Ubuntu Live session on sdg and put the bootloader on /dev/sdg not sdg1
    (sdg has now become sdh because of drive I am using to backup)
    Apologies but I think I am confused.

Since I knew I was eventually going to convert to a newer UEFI system, I started putting both the ESP and bios_grub on new drives well before my first UEFI system.
    If it wants boot flag, then add a small 100MB ESP, FAT32 formatted with gpt. It probably should be first partition on drive as that is UEFI recommendation.
    Does this not result in 4 partitions?
    sdg1 = 300mb for bios_grub (GParted will not allow the same partition to carry both flags i.e. bios_grub and boot
    sdg2=30GB for swap
    sdg1 =ext4 mounted as / main ubuntu installation partition
    where does esp go? if I hive 100mb off sdg2 as esp - this makes 4 partitions.
    Last edited by seanbw2; June 9th, 2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: text correction

Beans

ubuntu install.png
    This is what I am ending up with.
    1MB free space from creating bios_grub from initial 300mb unformatted partition, then 300MB bios_grub partition, 301GB / ubuntu/home partition and finally 15GB swap partition.
    Where does the esp go?
    I am holding off the installation until I am definite as I think i am on the cusp of a final solution (well then the battle of making HP boot to sdg starts but that is a familiar battle)
    So waiting for guidance/assistance at this point. Many thanks to everybody that have chipped in to help. It is a refreshing change from prior atempts.
    Last edited by seanbw2; June 9th, 2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: correcting text errors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is the installer calling the gparted bios_grub partition biosgrub. That would just be the same partition. Grub on gpt partitioned drives needs a unformatted partition of 1 or 2MB.

You can have a 100-300MB partition formatted FAT32 with boot flag (ESP). That would only be used for UEFI boot, but good to have on drive if later you convert that drive to UEFI boot. It is recommended by UEFI to be first on drive and that can be difficult to add once drive has lots of data. If not using it now, make it only 100MB.

For BIOS boot you must have a 1 or 2MB unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag.

Then how you boot installer is how either is used. If you boot installer in UEFI mode the ESP is used. If you boot installer in BIOS mode, then the bios_grub partition is used.

This is all the same as I posted in post #8. I always create ESP, bios_grub, / (root) & swap with gparted and using gpt. And never had any issues.

Partitions should end up like mine:
    Code:
     Partition    Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors System
    /dev/sda1           2,048     1,026,047     1,024,000 EFI System partition
    /dev/sda2       1,026,048     1,030,143         4,096 BIOS Boot partition
    /dev/sda3       1,030,144    52,229,362    51,199,219 Data partition (Linux)
    /dev/sda4     246,163,456   250,068,991     3,905,536 Swap partition (Linux)
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you. It seemed clear enough. I just wanted to be sure.
    lack of confidence I guess.
    So I will now extend the existing free space, format it FAT32 with boot flag but it will not be used for now.
    The other partitions are OK looking at your setup.
    Ok. deep breath and ...

Beans

Wow . Installation finished wit no error messages.
    First thing is to test that I can boot into sdg using the bios set by HP.
    Oldfred - I am grateful. Many thanks.
    Let me try and boot into sdg from startup.

Beans

after a few niggles with HP, I am now logging into sdg straight from boot.
    Thanks Oldfred.Much obliged.
    Now to get my fstab setup properly with my 14 hard disks and counting.
    I shall mark this thread solved.
    Cheers

sean

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad you got it working.

If you have issues with fstab or mounting post a new thread. I only know standard partitions not RAID nor any special server type configurations.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12