Thread: Networking cycles from ethernet, looks for wifi, then reconnects to ethernet, repeats

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Networking cycles from ethernet, looks for wifi, then reconnects to ethernet, repeats

Ubuntu 14.04 desktop, used wifi for several months, no problem, then moved to location convenient to FIOS router, so hooked up ethernet cable. At startup, machine connects to internet via ethernet, but in a few seconds it drops the connection and hunts for wifi (I removed the USB wifi dongle), "Disonnected, you are now offline", then in a few more seconds it hooks back up to the ethernet successfully.

In Network Connections I have deleted the wifi connection.

Don't understand why it continues to cycle between ethernet and previous wifi connection.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Networking cycles from ethernet, looks for wifi, then reconnects to ethernet, rep

Can you disable Wifi? Uncheck Enable Wifi?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Networking cycles from ethernet, looks for wifi, then reconnects to ethernet, rep

Don't see that option. The machine no longer has wifi capabilities. Formerly I used a wifi adapter that plugged into a USB port, now that's no longer present, so neither the Ubuntu Network app nor the Network Connections app have any mention of wifi in the text boxes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Now it is working correctly. Somehow ipv6 settings had the box checked "require ipv6 for this connection..." and I cleared the check box and all seems to be well, marking this thread solved. Thanks for everyone's input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Great.