Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I copy & paste Wine and Virtualbox into Ubuntu while in Windows?

Beans

Re: Can I copy & paste Wine and Virtualbox into Ubuntu while in Windows?

After buying my new laptop at the beginning of May, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 because I was recommended by a PHP developer where he uses Wine & Virtualbox for various Windows applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator which he runs in Virtualbox 5.0, and I was under the impression that Ubuntu came with them already installed. When I found they were not installed I looked for remedies but found none. I then gave up on Ubuntu and searched the Internet to find a distro that has them installed. I tried SolydK and Debian and found they were dysfunctional and worse than Ubuntu. I've come back to Ubuntu with the thoughts of installing them in Windows, but if that can't be done, then the only option is to get Ubuntu with them already installed. If that is not possible then I will be abandoning Ubuntu forever. I have wasted over one month and achieved nothing, all in the belief that a Linux OS was superior.

If I plug the USB Stick into a Windows computer the console automatically installs. But nothing happened when I plugged the USB Stick into my new computer when Ubuntu was installed.

While connecting to the Internet is my primary goal, I do have a Windows based text editor that I'm addicted to, that I'd like to transfer to my new laptop. And there maybe other applications that will arise as time goes on, so I'm thinking it is best to have both Wine & Virtualbox installed at the outset.

Connecting to the Internet and a text editor are simple applications, whether based on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, or Solaris, so I expect Ubuntu to cater for those. If my expectations are too much then Ubuntu will not be suitable.

jim_deadlock - If Wine or Virtualbox wont allow the USB Stick to work, then what will?

QIII - I don't know where to find the specs. Yes, I may have misconceptions about what Wine and VirtualBox are.

I'm almost at the end of my patience. Nothing ever happened like this with my experience in Windows. I had no complaints with Windows XP. But I'm unsure of its current limitations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

If you can go to a friend's house and borrow a wired internet connection, that will allow you to easily install the default Ubuntu as you've done before. Once you've that and done the normal system updates there is a good chance that your USB will work and you can connect with that instead of the wired connection, You can then you can install Wine, Virtualbox etc.

And there maybe other applications that will arise as time goes on, so I'm thinking it is best to have both Wine & Virtualbox installed at the outset.
    It seems that you don't really want to let go of Windows. There are many (better) alternatives to Windows apps but if you are determined to stick with the Windows apps then you might as well stick with Windows as it will always run Windows apps better than Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wine may not run everything you would like, but it might run what you want. If you use VirtualBox, you need to install a Windows virtual machine, which will allow you to run whatever Windows software you want natively in Windows. Those can both be easily installed if we can get you an internet connection.

If you run a Live Ubuntu session, does the dongle work? If not, can you use an ethernet connection in the interim while we work on this?

If you can do either of those, there is a script you can run that will tell us most everything we need to know about the wireless USB dongle.

For now, can you tell us the manufacturer and model?

The reason this hasn't happened to you in Windows is that the manufacturer of your dongle made darn sure they had a driver that worked with Windows -- if they hadn't they would have gone broke. Microsoft does not write those drivers. The OEMs do. If they meet Microsoft's standards, they can be included in the DriverBase and the hardware is Plug 'N Play or the driver installs automatically.

If the hardware doesn't work in Linux because there is no driver for it, it is no fault of the Linux community.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks howefield, initially I brushed aside your comment "Zorin OS comes with Wine and Play on Linux preinstalled, or at least it used to." as I thought it would be the same as the others I've tried but out of desperation I investigated Zorin at http://zorinos.com/ and for the sake of other viewers with the same circumstances I've included Zorin's features;

Multi-functional - Zorin OS is a multi-functionaloperating system designed specifically for newcomers to Linux. It's based on Ubuntu Linux, so you can rely on it for rock-solid performance, dependability and support.

Exclusive Software - Zorin OS features our uniqueLook Changer program that we have created exclusively for Zorin OS. It allows you to change the user interface at the touch of a button. Other unique programs include Background Plus, Web Browser Manager and more.

Flexibility - Zorin OS gives you more flexibility. It allows you to use Zorin OS alongside your current operating system and run Microsoft Windows programs in Zorin OS with the help of WINE and PlayOnLinux.

Super secure - Thanks to Zorin OS's immunity to Windows viruses you will never have to worry about any of that nasty malware. And when a potential security threat arises, software updates usually come in a matter of hours. With Zorin OS you are sure to have peace of mind.

Much faster than your typical OS - Zorin OS is super fast. Zorin OS is faster than Windows and OS X because it is more lightweight. Some Windows programs run even faster in Zorin OS with WINE (which comes pre-installed with Zorin OS) than in Windows.

Out-of-the-box software - Zorin OS is packed with all the software you'll ever need out of the box, from office suites to video editors.

Zorin Look Changer - The Look Changer lets you change your desktop to look and act like either Windows 7, XP, 2000, Ubuntu Unity, Mac OS X or GNOME 2 for ultimate ease of use.

Zorin Web Browser Manager - We have included our exclusive program called the Web Browser Manager which makes it easy to install or uninstall alternate web browsers.

Zorin Background Plus - Background Plus allows you to set a video, audio file or screensaver as your background to enhance your desktop experience.

Beans

I'm not in my native country, as I moved to build a website, but I could not have chosen a worse environment to get a job done. I'm in a Windows orientated environment, even buying a laptop without Windows was a mission.

The Internet connections here are a nightmare. No nothing happened when I plugged the USB dongle into my new computer when Ubuntu was installed. I'm not aware of any ethernet connections here.

I was given the USB dongle when I arrived here, and it is marked with the ISP's name and I think it was part of the ISP's package. The drivers would have been written from the ISP's instructions. Of course they would have gone broke because the majority of the population here are only familiar with Windows. One good thing about the ISP I'm using is that it requires no registration, anybody can use it. Other ISPs require only native users to register.

I intend moving out of this country as soon as my circumstances permit, but as yet I have no preferred option.

Zorin appears my god sent. I'll download it tonight.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by christaliise View Post
    Thanks howefield, initially I brushed aside your comment "Zorin OS comes with Wine and Play on Linux preinstalled, or at least it used to." as I thought it would be the same as the others I've tried but out of desperation I investigated Zorin at http://zorinos.com/....
    If you go with Zorin just watch out for the length of the support period.

Also upgrading to the next version requires a clean install of the next version. This may not be an issue for you but you might want to be aware. Also they have their own support forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jim_deadlock View Post
    If you can go to a friend's house and borrow a wired internet connection, that will allow you to easily install the default Ubuntu as you've done before. Once you've that and done the normal system updates there is a good chance that your USB will work and you can connect with that instead of the wired connection, You can then you can install Wine, Virtualbox etc.

It seems that you don't really want to let go of Windows. There are many (better) alternatives to Windows apps but if you are determined to stick with the Windows apps then you might as well stick with Windows as it will always run Windows apps better than Ubuntu.
    I'm not in my native country, as I moved to build a website, but I could not have chosen a worse environment to get a job done. I'm in a Windows orientated environment, even buying a laptop without Windows was a mission. I do not like Windows 7 and 10 primarily because they are too slow, and secondly complicated. The Internet connections here are also a nightmare. My mission is to build a website that is simple, uncomplicated and everyone feels comfortable using it. Zorin appears my god sent.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    If you go with Zorin just watch out for the length of the support period.

Also upgrading to the next version requires a clean install of the next version. This may not be an issue for you but you might want to be aware. Also they have their own support forums.

Yes, it appears the free version Zorin OS 9 has support until April 2019 and the paid version Zorin OS 11 has support until (next month) July 2016.

My mission is to be in a simple environment, so it appears as if Zorin OS 9 will suit best. I'll down load it tonight. Lets hope it functions unlike SolydK & Debian (to be fair the malfunctions maybe caused by my system).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12