Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual NIC server, two switches, 1 port per, can they talk?

Beans

Re: Dual NIC server, two switches, 1 port per, can they talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I'm not having an actual problem. I'm simply trying to set up the camera portion in the recommended way, as it's always preferred to keep video surveillance segregated in some capacity.
    But you're not. It's on the same machine in the same network. It sounds like all you are doing is making it more complicated than it needs to be.

What does logical separation buy you?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NadirPoint View Post
    But you're not. It's on the same machine in the same network. It sounds like all you are doing is making it more complicated than it needs to be.

What does logical separation buy you?
    Segregated video surveillance traffic. Which, is kind of the goal.

Keep video surveillance feeds over there, keep all other stuff over here.

If 24 port gigabit POE switches with VLAN support were more affordable, I'd have just gone that route.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Segregated video surveillance traffic. Which, is kind of the goal.
    But why? What's the point? Or "goal" as t'were. You are setting up a whole new network, hardware and all for what amounts to by your own admission, an insignificant amount of traffic.
    Last edited by NadirPoint; June 6th, 2016 at 08:22 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NadirPoint View Post
    But why? What's the point? Or "goal" as t'were. You are setting up a whole new network, hardware and all for what amounts to by your own admission, an insignificant amount of traffic.
    During a typical time of day, yeah, it'll be insignificant. If my other boxes kick on a backup at the same time, it may possibly cause issues.

I say possibly because while I have not verified this with Bluecherry, on an older setup I used to run into issues, such as the quality of my feeds suffering whenever a bulk of other LAN bandwidth was hitting my server. The videos would play back slow, stuttered, and appeared to have lost FPS during the transmission process. Given I was watching my activity monitors at the time, it looked like my network port was just getting too hammered with all of the inbound traffic over the line.

By segregating these feeds on their own switch and NIC port on the server, it gives the camera feeds their own carpool lane.

It still may be overkill. I'm not sure. I may find this turns out to be entirely nonsense. I'll know more when I set it up and test things out. In the end, the POE switch was an inevitable move to clean up wiring and get rid of the POE injectors, so that was a guaranteed purchase either way. Beyond that, the only other thing purchased was an 11 dollar gigabit NIC. If this overcomplicates things beyond a reasonable justification, I can easily put things back how they were with the 8 port switch joined as part of the network and toss the new gigabit NIC on the shelf for the inevitable use I'll have for it with another system in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12