I recently was put in charge of migrating a Windows 2003 web server to Ubuntu for our organization's intranet. I work at a small university with over 200 departments, each department has their own web folder that can use it to host department pages or host files. On the win2k3 server the current folder structure naming convention is based on the department's name and sometimes department abbreviations. The problem I have run into is that many departments have changed their names since the original web server has been up (sometimes more than once). I would like to have a folder naming convention that does not depend on department names or abbreviations. This is for root folders, what the departments does within the folders is up to them, This way they can change the name of the department all they want in the future, without me having to do a lot of redirects or allies.

At first I was thinking about basing it on departments main 5 digit phone extension, but I found out not all departments have main extension. I am sure someone has similar situation, I have searched around but I haven't found anything I can use. I am just looking for any advice.

Thanks in advanced.