Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: User switching in version 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: User switching in version 16.04

Hi, this bug is fixed now. You should find Switch User by clicking your name in the system status menu in the top right corner of GNOME Shell.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: User switching in version 16.04

No it isn't. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.1 with the latest updates of all thje packages (27.10.2016) and the Swicth User is not displayed in the graphical desktopI. Also none of the workarounds (pressing super-L or CTRL-ALT-L) do not work - they only lock the screen, but do not let anyone but thje same logged-in account to unlock it.

Your above post, @jbicha is false, please remove or correct this bug that is serious regression in Ubuntu/Linux UI and user experience in general.

Beans
    Distro

@experimancer I did fix the original bug.

Are you using gdm or lightdm?

How did you add the other user?

Have you restarted the computer after applying updates?

About the workaround, on the unlock screen, there should be "Log in as another user"

Beans

Thumbs down Re: User switching in version 16.04

Quote Originally Posted by dcmay-f View Post
    The menu item is missing on my system, as well.

However, by using a workaround, it's possible to have multiple active logins:

• <Super>L locks the screen, from where it's possible to switch users.
    • <Ctrl><Alt><F7> goes to GDM which allows secondary logins.

Then, there are two ways to switch users:

• <Ctrl><Alt><Fx> goes straight to the other user session (probably F2=1st user, F3=2nd user, but this depends in part on whether you've opened virtual terminals before the second user login); or
    • <Ctrl><Alt><F7> goes to GDM which acts like an unlock screen.

The first takes a fair number of seconds (7-10) on my system (3 screens: 1 tablet, 2 monitors) for Xrandr to finish and the screens to settle down. The second takes longer. Centos/RedHat EL7 seems faster.

I've had a bit of instability in the display configurations when initially switching users (eg. one monitor will turn off, and I have to configure Display Settings), but after switching 2 or 3 times, it works stably.

Just logged in under CentOS 7 (stock, except FC23 kernel and FC23 xorg intel driver).

What a difference! Full switch from one user to another in 1/2 second or less (using <Ctrl><Alt><Fx>. No long delays during switching, no flashing of screens, no screens turning off unexpectedly, no X/gnome session lock-up. It works cleanly and smoothly.
    The above does not work in Ubuntu/16.04.1, using super-L or ctrl-alt-Fx keys just locs the screen but does not let another user log in (the functionality that Switch User provides is still missing). This is not a *workaround* but just false and OT misi-information that does not relate to thish bug nor Ubuntu/16.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    @experimancer I did fix the original bug.

Are you using gdm or lightdm?

How did you add the other user?

Have you restarted the computer after applying updates?

About the workaround, on the unlock screen, there should be "Log in as another user"
    1. Using lightdm (and gdm in another install)

2. Other users added manually (adduser in bash) and in system UI (uids > 1001)

3. Computer restarted several times after updating to accountservice 0.6.40-2ubuntu11.2

4. Workarounds do not work, there is no "Login as another user" -option after super-L or ctrll-alt-L, the screen just gets locked and only the original user can unlock, pressing ctrl-alt-f7 does nothing and ctrl-alt-f1 just lets to log in as console user (not with graphical UI like the Switch User would).
    Last edited by experimancer; October 28th, 2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: fixed some typos

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by experimancer View Post
    This is not a *workaround* but just false and OT misi-information that does not relate to thish bug nor Ubuntu/16.04.
    Please stop using the word false and try to be more respectful here.

There was a bug and the bug was fixed. The issue you are experiencing is a different issue and will require a different solution once we figure out what's different about your situation and what's not working.

If you have some time, could you try starting from a virtual machine install of either Ubuntu 16.04 (default with Unity) or Ubuntu GNOME 16.04. If you can reproduce the bug, list the steps that you took. I did this in the original bug (in the Test Case in the bug description). When I said "Add user" there, I meant using the GNOME Settings app and clicking Users, then Unlock, then Add User.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a workaround I used until the bug was fixed (which I just became aware of due to this thread). I created a desktop file - I'm using lightdm on Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.1 64 bit. Here's my desktop file:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Icon[en_US]=system
    Name[en_US]=Switch-Users
    Exec=dm-tool switch-to-greeter
    Name=
    Comment=
    There is a similar workaround for GDM but I don't have access to it right now. It uses something other than switch-to-greeter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12