Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

I was having problems connecting, the client would crash with setuid errors and core dumps. Ultimately, my problem was that my home dir is encrypted, so once I moved ncsvc outside of my home dir and created a symlink, it worked fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Last week at VMworld in SF. I spoke with Juniper rep, I was told Juniper is not interested in supporting 64 bit linux because lack of demand.
    For those spent too many hours figuring out this, it might be the time to ask your company just to buy gear from Cisco or Huawei.
    For sure there is a way to figure it out but it might not worth if your time is valuable.

Beans

I don't use Java on my Ubuntu box at the moment so as a completely easy hack to get it working, I did this:

Code:
    sudo mv /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java.save
    sudo echo 'if echo "$*" | grep NC.jar >/dev/null
    then
      /usr/java/java32/bin/java $*
    else
      /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java.save $*
    fi' >/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
    sudo chmod 775 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
    where /usr/java/java32 is where I installed my 32 bit Java library from Oracle. Edit to update script.
    Last edited by TerryHowe; September 5th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Hey All,

I recently got a new job and am working on getting my remote setup. My company uses this Juniper Network Connecter, and I have been running into some problems. Both my host and remote desktop are running Ubuntu 13.04. I have been working on getting the network connecter functioning by following the steps found here: mad-scientist.us/juniper.html I then found my way to these forums and read through the last couple dozen posts regarding 13.04. Unfortunately, when I run the script msjnc, it does either 1 of the following things:

1. Nothing
    2. Launches a window with no text, and prompty crashes.

I have been unable to get any farther than this. I have tried uninstalling the network connected via my secureID login page, and rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling all the java dependencies.

Thanks for your assistance!

Beans

Hello all,

I've been trying to figure this out, and haven't found any better place to ask (the Juniper Networks forums seem to be more directed towards those who are administrating the VPN, whereas I'm just one of the clients).

For some reason, I can't even get to the Network Connect on Ubuntu, as Host Checker keeps complaining that I don't have an antivirus. I figured it was some weird requirement and grabbed one off of the Ubuntu Wiki page (Avast for Linux), but even installing that did nothing to change Host Checker. Is there something I missed from these posts, or is my VPN just flat-out blocking me?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Karumiku,

I don't know why Host Checker is complaining about no antivirus. I don't have any antivirus and it works fine for me. My guess is your juniper setup is screwed up. You may want to delete the .juniper_networks folder in your Home folder. This is a hidden folder. You can reveal the hidden folders in Nautilus by pressing Ctrl+H. This folder will be recreated when you try to connect again.

If this does not work, please indicate how you are trying to connect. Are you using a 32bit or a 64bit version of Ubuntu? Are you using the OpenJVM Java 7 that is available in the Ubuntu Software Center? If you are in 64bit version of Ubuntu you will need both 64bit and 32bit versions of Java installed. See my earlier post on this.

Hope this helps

If this does

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bandyo View Post
    Karumiku,

I don't know why Host Checker is complaining about no antivirus. I don't have any antivirus and it works fine for me. My guess is your juniper setup is screwed up. You may want to delete the .juniper_networks folder in your Home folder. This is a hidden folder. You can reveal the hidden folders in Nautilus by pressing Ctrl+H. This folder will be recreated when you try to connect again.

If this does not work, please indicate how you are trying to connect. Are you using a 32bit or a 64bit version of Ubuntu? Are you using the OpenJVM Java 7 that is available in the Ubuntu Software Center? If you are in 64bit version of Ubuntu you will need both 64bit and 32bit versions of Java installed. See my earlier post on this.

Hope this helps

If this does
    I completely deleted the ~/.juniper_networks folder and followed the steps at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12637969 (I have a 64-bit Ubuntu), and the issue still arises. If it helps any, I get the following text:
    Your computer does not meet the following security requirements. Please follow the instructions below to fix these problems. When you are done click Try Again.
    Last edited by karumiku; December 11th, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

Beans

The Host Checker is setup differently for Windows, Mac and Linux clients. And as far as I know, only the Host Checker for Windows as support for antivirus checks. This, I suspect, means that the Host Checker configuration on the gateway does not have the Linux profile enabled and will therefore attempt to appy the Windows profile instead.

If Host Checker is enabled on the gateway, the Linux profile must also be enabled for it to work.

Beans

So I'm assuming there's no workaround? I suppose I'll have to see if my IT department will enable the profile for me otherwise. At least I have a direction to move towards, though.

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Thanks a lot, dvo. And also to Scott's valueable article, else I would have never been able to get this done.

In my case, it was on RHEL6 that I was facing an issue with. After getting the java thingy in place; I had to install the following packages before using your suggestion

sudo yum install xterm.x86_64
    sudo yum install glibc-devel.i686
    sudo yum install libXtst.i686

I faced the following issues while getting the Network Connect started

Issue #1
    Here is the standard output of the command:

Service needs to be installed for the first time
    calling /home/vsrikarunyan/.juniper_networks/network_connect/installNC.sh
    Here is the standard error of the command (if any):

/home/vsrikarunyan/.juniper_networks/network_connect/xlaunchNC.sh: line 56: xterm: command not found

Issue #2
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
    /usr/local/java/jre1.7.0_25/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so: libXtst.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast